float level

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bowtie4511":o5t7i18h said:
my needles & seats r all new & have cleaned the carbs already. so i don't think i have a problem there.
Question, are these new Honda needles or some other?

new from where and who ...people have more problems with the new stuff it seems ....you sould flow test the rack ...before install ...all you need is temporary gas tank ..mine a plastic lawn mower one and a hose to the carbs about 3ft or better some ....after carbs together take out flost drains and hook up temp tank with tank lower than carbs ...pick it up and see if gas flows to all carbs and about the same speed ...if that good put drains back in ...lift tank again and hang it this time gas flow sould be off once floats come up leave it this way for hrs ...a day and check around carbs for leaks out the front of carbs ...oh yes dont forget to have horns off so you can see inside ..if rack passes these two test its ready to be installed and you can be confident it dosent have a main leaking sorce for sure ....

it is aftermarket needles & seats. i'm not having a problem with them not shutting off the fuel. i am not running out of fuel at all. bike purs better than it ever has. i just don't want to go to far when i lower the float level. cause i know that when i do i will get the gas millage i am looking far.

:head bang: :head bang: :head bang:

Adjusting float levels for lean (fuel starvation) and rich (raw fuel being pumped down the carb throat) is fine. For finer adjustment, I recommend using the pilot screws. :fiddle: :popcorn:

Ah aftermarket.
Ok I have one carb has a aftermarket needle in it I fought way too long.
Set at the factory 15.5 mm it ran so rich that cylinder didn't even fire at idle.
On the road under hard acceleration it would flood out.
Don't remember what setting I ended up at but lowering it fixed the problem.

What your doing is lowering the float level measurement to have the actual gas level be at the designed level for the carbs to operate like they need to. The gas level in the bowls is whats wacky here because of the aftermarket needles.

The best thing to do here is to check the actual amount of fuel in the bowls either by draining it out and measuring it (there should be exactly 1 1/2 oz in each bowl on an 1100) or checking the level with a clear tube attached to the bowl drain. I have no idea how high the actual level is supposed to be.

DaveO430":14tzg4nd said:
The best thing to do here is to check the actual amount of fuel in the bowls either by draining it out and measuring it (there should be exactly 1 1/2 oz in each bowl on an 1100) or checking the level with a clear tube attached to the bowl drain. I have no idea how high the actual level is supposed to be.
I found on my 83 rack the fuel level in the bowl once it's filled with fuel and the float shuts off flow should be just below the top of the float bowl when removed.
That is how I finally found out the valve on mine was flakey. I could remove the other 3 bowls with no spill but that one would spill over.

bowtie4511":xei0i3ti said:
i set it at 15.0mm standing carbs upright. i thought it was to high from the begening because of the float hitting the top of the bowl when turned upside down. thanks ernie

When you set them to 15mm you are raising the level, not lowering it. Remember you have them upside down.