Floorboards and shifters

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to Wings but not to bikes. I just had this '81 Interstate follow me home and have a bunch of questions. One is the floor board set ups and shifter choices.

The PO was kinda short and the first thing I need to change is the shifter position or the shifter itself. It looks like to me there was a heel toe set up on the bike and for some reason that was changed to a home made peg off of a long shaft shifter. When I sit on the bike normally the shifter peg is no where near my toe and is actually about ankle height near my instep. consequently, I have to lift my whole leg to upshift and pick up my entire foot and leg to "tap' down in order to down shift. Awkward at best, and downright dangerous in the right condition.

Here's what I got, but don't quite know what I will do about it for now. The shaft looks like it's way too long and I'm thinking that the bike had a heel toe and got changed to this somewhere along the line. I'v tried to find photos of other wings but none close enough to actually see what the usual heel toe setup looks like.

Does this look like the shaft for a heel toe setup that was modified to a peg? The logo on the floorboards say "Tour Ease" but I can't find anything like that on the "internet" to see what it is.

CIMG3355.jpg

That is a shifter from another bike. Normally, the heel/toe shifter fits right over the Honda shifter after you take the rubber piece off. Here is a pic of my engine off the bike. (I took it out so that you could get a better view) (JK) :smilie_happy:
You can get an idea of what the shifter normally looks like.

Attachments

• '83 repainted 2.JPG
    '83 repainted 2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
slabghost":306pmhsq said:
A quick search here reveals they are add on floorboards for Harley passengers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tour+Ea ... =firefox-a

Thanks slabghost, don't know why my search engine didn't turn up with that. I got the name off the passenger floorboard as the front ones have no name on them. I see what's going on now as the passenger set may be a different brand all together. While the work and fit they are crap IMO. The passenger set won't fold and store properly and prevent any chance of getting the bike on the center stand without possibly breaking my ankle. The left rear floor board sticks out so far it bangs you leg when attempting to put the bike on the center stand.

Guess I'll be shopping around for a shifter at least.

mcgovern61":241pp0tc said:
That is a shifter from another bike. Normally, the heel/toe shifter fits right over the Honda shifter after you take the rubber piece off. Here is a pic of my engine off the bike. (I took it out so that you could get a better view) (JK) :smilie_happy:
You can get an idea of what the shifter normally looks like.

What a guy mcgovern61 ... pulled that engine to help a fella...... thanks.

That's the first close up of one of these I've been able to get showing a proper shifter. Thanks again, I now know what I have is not going to work for me. I guess the PO wanted it that way but can't understand why he would put up with it like that. He's a good deal shorter than me but I have to about fold up to shift and down shift is a thrill a minute the way it is.