Fork Seal Replacement, et al.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Honda manual for '83 1100I it is 270cc after draining and 290cc after dis-assembly. That's 9.1 and 9.8 oz respectively.

mortiki":3c9o5lhh said:
According to Honda manual for '83 1100I it is 270cc after draining and 290cc after dis-assembly. That's 9.1 and 9.8 oz respectively.
That seems low considering the rear shocks take 10.5 0z but it is right!

Thanks, I got the fluid changed over the weekend. Didn't replace the seals, I'll tackle that over the winter.

Boy, getting the caps back on was quite the chore. I ended up using a 1 1/8" 12 point socket connected to a 1/2" drive ratchet to get them started. It buggered up the finish of the cap a bit, but that was the only way I could get enough pressure on them to compress the springs to get the threads engaged.

FarmerRick":2x6yr8fm said:
Thanks, I got the fluid changed over the weekend. Didn't replace the seals, I'll tackle that over the winter.

Boy, getting the caps back on was quite the chore. I ended up using a 1 1/8" 12 point socket connected to a 1/2" drive ratchet to get them started. It buggered up the finish of the cap a bit, but that was the only way I could get enough pressure on them to compress the springs to get the threads engaged.
When you do the seals, there is an alan bolt inside at the bottom of the forks that when removed takes the pressure off the springs.

If you want to save the finish on bolts like that find some old inner tubes and add 1/8th to wrench size. I am a truck driver so I use truck tubes but if you have old bycicle inner tubes you can probably only add 1/16th to wrench and get even tighter fit. I am finishing up starter on Trixie(make wife happy first) then doing fork seals on Bella.

I'd like to get some seasoned opinions about seals, their longevity, and durability. So right now my front left seal looks to be leaking ....I would like to get the progressive spring upgrade but just can't afford it right now. I see several brands on ebay and was wondering what you think of the red synthetic seals? Some of them are advertised as All Balls, but this is what I have my eye on ..... https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORK-DUS ... ccessories

Mainly because they advertised longer life on the above ones ....
and then there are some others I have found:

Pyramid Parts w/ grease .... https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-GL ... 336671c633

And K&L .....https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K-L- ... 1c048872c0

Has anybody changed out their seals to just having to replace them again within the span of ownership of the bikes?
I'm just curious.

~John
I have a 1982 GL1100I Naked with leather bags.

Does anyone know if their are progressive fork springs for the 1983 GL1100I available? There was a post about Venco having them but the business recently closed with the passing of the owner. The ones on Amazon are for a1982 and indicates wont fit on the 83. Im waiting for the parts to arrive that I ordered to overhaul my forks and figured if the springs were available that I might swap out if not I'll just :Egyptian:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=10853#p10853:3vck8uh9 said:
FarmerRick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:24 pm[/url]":3vck8uh9]

*I used a length of PVC pipe, with notches cut for the caps, to give me enough leverage to compress the Progressive springs when re-installing the caps. Worked good to get the caps started, then finished with a wrench.
Jim

Latest posts