found 82 gl1100 what's a good price

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
Found 82 gl1100 garaged a few blocks away. Has sat since 05. Carbs are stuck, front&rear brakes stuck, gas on, couldn't see in tank ,but I think I know what it looks like. Will have to take battery over to see if motor turns. Vetter faring w/lowers Honda on rear. Just revived 80 gl1100 that sat 14 yrs. Ugh. I know about what it will cost to redo about everthing. Carbs (randak's) new battery, tire's & brakes ??? new timeing belts, New fluid's Maybe water pump. No asking price. I need to make offer. What is fair price????? Please need advice Will be on tight budget.

iwouldnt try to break it free with starter ...id just treat it as stuck ...if it looks decent 300 if it cappy exhast and stuff ...200 -250 tops ...

i payed 400 for my 77 it was not stuck and took some doing to get running ...exhast and all was great

I paid $500. for 2 82Is One had the engine pulled , both had not been run for more than 8 yrs. One is parts bike the other did run ( poorly ) when i first got it. So that being sait the value is in the eye of the beholder. I be Holding $300 :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

It is all relative.....my '82 was given to me (blown motor and sat outside for 12 years). In the end, it still costs me about $3000 to get it where it is today!

If the plastic and paint look good, minimal rust.....$300 tops!
1982-2.JPG
Restored 82.JPG

Thanks for the replys everyone. I really just would like some things from it. plastic is good. It has tall windshield on vetter, extra carbs and honda boxes on rear that are larger than my vetters. probably will just let it go. wife has that look!!! Alot of risk to take on $$$ to revive. It would make 3 wings to keep gas in .

Never been to French lick but know about where it is. I haven't talked with owner yet, his Dad lives a few house's away he showed me the bike . I only looked at it about 10 min's. I think the owner thinks it is worth more than it is. I explained to his dad about what new parts would cost and how they added up so quick. Monday I think I will try to take a longer look

I finally got a price from him. He is asking $300 for it. I'm going to look a lot closer at it, will try to see if motor is stuck. I would like to pull plugs and soak with aft for a few days, then turn with bolt under stator cover. With plugs out.Thanks Joe for mentioning not to use battery to turn over. Wife still has that look!!!!! Owner lives out of town his dad has to get key for the garage from him again. Is there a better way to check to see if the motor is stuck.

well if its stuck any at all the stator bolt is not realy the best way ....id take the plugs out spay it good ...anything you to lube and cut it the crud and put it in fifth gear and just rock it some not even very hard at all to slowly break it loose while constantly lubeing it ....ive even use baby snot suckers to flush things ....lot of way to slowly break one loose ....if realy stuck you have to take the heads off ....there also bore lights to see in them too

Front brake is stuck not sure if back brake is stuck. That is why I thought I might use stator bolt. Will I hurt it that way. I would like to use back wheel in 5th gear if I can. Yes a lot of pb blaster too.

It's on center stand now. Don't know how much he will let me do to it to check for stuck motor. Back brake may be stuck so I can't put in 5th gear to turn motor. Turning stator bolt may be the only way to tell about motor. Don't think he would let take off rear caliper so rear wheel would turn.

well just dont try to hard to unfreeze the motor if it stuck mosr likely it is some ....chances are its probably okay if its stuck.....at that price if its all there your not going to get hurt to bad on the most worst case senairio....id would most likely go for it get it home so you can go about bike as carful as you can not hurt anything yourself

the 82 is a fine bike as is all the 1100s ...but the 82 uses a wider and easier to access tire front and rear ...the same as harleys use ....the gearing is quite good on these ...not the tallest or the lowest just a good spead ...id jump on it :mrgreen:

Try the rear wheel rocking first and then use the stator bolt. Pulling the plugs could also be telltale because you will be able to at least see if there is rust on the intake valves. Either way, there is enough parts there to resale and get more than your money back! A rolling frame alone with title can be sold with the wheels for $150! If the motor moves and you are into restorations....go for it! (I would)

It's always a crap shoot with a used motor, especially if it won't turn over but the good news is these engines have a very tough bottom end and unsticking them usually results in a long time runner.
He should at the very least let you turn it by the stator bolt.
Guess it depends how much he wants to sell it and if he's getting any other bites.

Latest posts