front master

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is the problem, I have to change the seals on the front master and on the parts list they have 2 models for the 84. The one on my stander is smaller then the ASP. I was looking on E-Bay and they have them but they don't say the size all they say is ( fits GL84 ) how do I know which one to order.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140865#p140865:3krmb69x said:
joedrum » 50 minutes ago[/url]":3krmb69x]
guessing i bet what they have is aspy parts
:headscratch:
Why would that be?

Anyway, I'd order brake parts from a place that lists the difference.
Any seller in my eye's that doesn't list the specifics may most likely send the wrong parts, at least it's a gamble.
Last time I ordered front brake parts for my 83, which does have differences, they were listed.

The 84 Standard uses master cylinder 45500-MG9-006 and has a different service limit than the 84 I and A models. The front master cylinder on the I and A models has a part number of 45500-MG9-771. So that means they are two different animals.

I found some seals that I had put away, lucky I found some that fit, master works perfect . God, now I see why this guy sold the bike, too much time and money to put on it but I don't mind, it's fun. thanks for your help guy's. One more thing, are the brake pads on a standard different then the one's on ASP, it seems to me the pistons come out far. It did say brake pads for GL1200 not ASP.

The EBC pad # is FA69/3, you will need three sets, I prefer the organic pad, it's less aggressive on the rotor which are really pricey. Might catch a good deal on ebay, that's where I got my last ones, unfortunatly what I got was made in China, wasn't paying enough attention, but in all fairness they fit and are doing a good job.

What I'm asking is, is it normal for the caliper piston to come out about 1/2 inch or more before making contact with pads. As I recall, when you replace the pads with new ones the piston is almost all the way in on this bike they come out quite far. Is this normal for the 1200, on the other bikes I did, 1000, 1100, the pistons came out a less.

I took a picture of the caliper on the bike, you can see how far the piston is out by 1/2 inch. I did think the calipers where different then the ASPY but all 4 calipers are the same.

Attachments

• 100_1573.JPG
    100_1573.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 82
See if you can squeeze in the aspy rotors. They might need shimmed but would take up the space and stop the bike a little better I think.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141115#p141115:38hc1s0s said:
julimike54 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:21 pm[/url]":38hc1s0s]
I don't know if this will help or not
image.php

This is 86 Aspy front caliper...sorry the ruler was too shiny
I can't make out the distance on your ruler, can you tell me what distance is on you ruler.