Fuel tank - Removing rust CHEAP!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC

Reaction score
Im not sure if there's a mention on removing fuel-tank rust very cheaply and effectively so I'll just throw this out there.

After much searching for info on the subject I found a utube video of some college kids that claimed the thing to use for removing rust from a fuel-tank was "Apple Cider Vinegar". So if you don't want to spend the $25 per jug of metal-rescue and/or the likes, than this is the stuff!!! Unless you need your tank restored by yesterday, this is very impressive stuff!!! I mean Im not that easily impressed but WOW!!! I basically turned my tank at a different angle every day for 4 or 5 days and that stuff did the trick! And my tank was pretty bad too. Just remember to flush the tank with soap and water thoroughly when your satisfied with the results to neutralize the acids. I didn't even add BB's to the tank because I was trying to salvage the internal screens, and that stuff works awesome all by itself. So my total cost: 2 gallons apple-cider-vinegar-was $7.00, and a few ounces of Dawn dish-soap. (I forgot to mention that I didn't think my gas-cap could be saved; I thought wrong!, since after sitting in a bowl of that stuff overnight, it's fine and looks nearly like new).
If you have some of that stuff sitting in your home; soak a rag with it and spend a minute or so rubbing out some surface-rust off an old bicycle fender, or your car/truck bumper. I think you'll be as amazed as I was after testing the stuff! (I tried regular cider-vinegar which did also work; but not as well as the apple-cider-vinegar)

I apologize if there's already a thread with this info. But I did do a search and didn't see it and felt that this is a worthy pass-along trick.

That's great! -I had forgotten to mention the my fuel sending-unit was very rusted;frozen and didn't work at all. (it looked unsalvagable to me). But after 2 days of soaking and several times of very carefully freeing; and then slowly moving the float arm, it now works. And by "works", I mean the fuel-gauge is always 100% accurate, so it works perfect! Good luck on your tank cleanings. In fact with apple cider vinegar you have all that you need and don't need luck at all. Im still very impressed with my incredible results! Take care, CC