FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE STORE TODAY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So,
Two days before Im leaving for North Carolina I run to the locksmith to get a new key for my trailor,but as I let the bike warm up it starts to miss :shock:
This bike has always run perfectly,must be the ATF treatment a couple tanks ago,I think to myself.Smooths back up as I get down the road.
But as I get to town and sit at a red light it starts to miss again,only to smooth back out as I get going.
I park it at the store,and it starts hard when I come back out,and misses at an idle,untell I get going again.
I stop at the parts store and get new plugs,but notice as I leave there it accually starts like its flooded,and smells like gas.Crap,I think,its not plugs its probably a float.When am I going to find time to fix that before I go.Tomorow I need to finish packing,loading the trailor,cut the grass...and I plan on leaving RIGHT after :blush: work friday.

As a act of desperation,on the way home,I turn the gas off and ride untell it starts to quit,then turn the gas back on.I did this twice and the next red light(I hate town) smooth as a clock.Idles good,starts good...

Did I just have a bit of crap on a float needle?It runs great now,I shouldnt need to put my trip off a day to tear the carbs down if its running good now should I?

Is this a reprocaution of the ATF? I never had a problem before. :headscratch:

it could be from the atf looseing something up when you were ueing it a couple tanks ago.....sorry the atf didnt work for you ....it sure works for me and i put it in all the time and after a while they run so smooth ...my82 1100 pulls hard from 60 to 80 mph and idles smooth and quiet......

My experience with automotive carbataters is that you never know when some small piece of crud is gonna get stuck up in a needle/seat, creating a flood condition. What you did, as far as turning the fuel off until it started starving allowed the float(s) to drop far enough for whatever it was to get washed out of the seat. That's pretty much the first thing I do when I get a sudden flooding issue on a car with a carb. Pinch the fuel line until it dies, then release the line. 9 times out of 10, that fixes it.

I would hesitate to suggest the ATF had anything to do with it, but it may had loosened some crud in the tank, and that got pumped into the carb(s). I'd say you're prolly good to go on yer trip...and have a good time! :good:

Hi,
I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like exactly what you think it was. You may want to put a can of seafoam in and run that through just as a preventative measure. Have a great trip and take some pics for us folk you left at home.
Greg

joedrum":2mnwoakl said:
.....sorry the atf didnt work for you ....it sure works for me and i put it in all the time and after a while they run so smooth .....

Joe, I wouldnt say so much that it doesnt work for me as much as I would say you cant fix what isnt broke.Although it must have loosened something up.

I will continue to run the ATF periodically to keep things clean.