GL 1100's in West Texas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zilladung":3bpillke said:
Midland/Odessa - West Texas

My part o the area....I wuz born/raised in Big Spring...but got out of there as soon as I could! :smilie_happy:

I rebuilt the shocks on my 82 and didn't like them. So, I removed them and put a set of Progressive 412's on. I love them! I also have progressive springs in the forks. It rides a little stiff, but I like that in the twisties! I need to find another good 82 or 83 since I put the sidecar on the 82. But then I'd have to sell the 76 and that would be hard. I've had it for about 13 years now.

larryc":1rulw94d said:
I rebuilt the shocks on my 82 and didn't like them. So, I removed them and put a set of Progressive 412's on. I love them! I also have progressive springs in the forks. It rides a little stiff, but I like that in the twisties! I need to find another good 82 or 83 since I put the sidecar on the 82. But then I'd have to sell the 76 and that would be hard. I've had it for about 13 years now.
Hey right on there Larry, I too have the 412's and they are nice and tight, I have never bottomed out again and I never have to check that freakin air again..that was just a pain..I say this because I went on a long trip once and the air in the rear shocks leaked out and I couldn't find a pump to air it up anywhere and it was just a pain..

Yeah I keep reading progressives are the way to go. I tip the scales at over 400 lbs so I need all the help I can get. I also have an issue with the Aspencade drifting and wobble, it felt like the crosswind I was riding in was going to toss me off the road! The other bike is far more stable feeling. I've read about front / rear alignment, fork pressure and other possible reasons.. Any advice. I'm scared to get on the highway with it. Seems like a big guy on a big bike should hold the road a lot better than this bike does.

Being a rather large rider myself, I have the same problems with crosswind. I don't believe its so much the suspension, although there may be some issues with it, the problem seems to be that a dressed out goldwing with a fluffy rider presents a closed off surface area the wind cannot go thru so it pushes against it. Kinda like the wind hitting the side of a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I know it can move me over a couple of feet when it hits so I just stay prepared for the gusts but most of the time I just don't ride on windy days.

Zilladung":ckhe3k5h said:
Yeah I keep reading progressives are the way to go. I tip the scales at over 400 lbs so I need all the help I can get. I also have an issue with the Aspencade drifting and wobble, it felt like the crosswind I was riding in was going to toss me off the road! The other bike is far more stable feeling. I've read about front / rear alignment, fork pressure and other possible reasons.. Any advice. I'm scared to get on the highway with it. Seems like a big guy on a big bike should hold the road a lot better than this bike does.
Granted my '82 was a Standard with the Vetter faring added and the aftermarket Hondaline bags which I beleive is pretty close to the weight and surface area of a fully dressed Wing, but I do not experience this issue! In crosswinds, my bike stays pretty much straight as an arrow. When two up (our combined weight is over 460 lbs :shock: ) the bike takes a bit more to keep straight, but certainly not a challenge by any means. Point is, I would say my bike is stable at all speeds and wind conditions.

i think thats conditional ..when i was in st augustine fla for awhile going over the intercoastal waterway was just nightmare daily with cross wind even if a bike was naked ...i always rode and tried to keep a full open lane to get blown into ...sometimes that was impossible and i have come very close to being blown into a gardrail of the brirdge or cager

I have riden my Innerstate in 40-50mph crosswinds, and it WILL blow ya around some, fer sher. Just gotta be aware of it, and compensate the best ya can.

Yeah since i have two of them, I can compare the ride and stability of each..(as well as other things) The Aspencade definitly has drifting issues that the other bike doesn't. It doesn't like the grooves and ruts in the road as much either.. Feels like every bump wants to move me 2 feet sideways. When slowing down it has a bad front end wobble. The Standard seems to have non of these problems. I wonder if my forks are twisted or rear and front tires are misaligined, too much fork air pressure, (or not enough), maybe a bearing on the fork stem. Definitly doesnt feel safe over 50 mph.. i wont ride it on the highway until i figure this out. Like I said, I have two. In comparison the standard has a much smoother, stabler ride. Loving tem both none the less.! :)

My aspencade drives straight,no fork brace, took it off great improvement.Found with the buffeting if you open the 2 vents and have them pointing up towrds the gauges, helps with the buffeting.Must be moving the air behind the windshield.Works for me.