GL1100 battery leads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewy999

Reaction score
Just another quickie, as I take bits off the engine, I find all sorts of things. Someone in the past chose to put gasket compound as well as o rings on the mating surfaces, sure you all know what fun that is to clean off! The neutral switch was missing the o ring, but there was a lot of rubber compound in the area to stop oil coming out! But I digress, On my 1980 GL1100, The battery had a positive lead, and a negative lead which was connected to the starter motor. Should there also be another lead on the negative side to earth, or are the two leads all that is required?

Hear from you soon,

Jon

Just to clarify, are you saying there is one lead from the battery negative to the starter, which I have, and another seperate lead from the battery negative to ground?

Jon

he was talking about the battery negitive being hooked uo to the trianglur mounts for the motor where it hooks to motor ...the seliniod possitive fat wire hooks to starter ...and starter is grounded to the motor itself though the mounting bolts

Thanks for that, as I said, I am finding things wrong all the time. I'll have a look again tomorrow. Don't suppose any of you have some photos?
Jon.

The negative cable from the battery normally goes to the engine mount. Going to the starter motor itself isn't bad...just not "stock". A separate cable from the engine to the frame would proly be a good idea, if you want to leave the cable where it is.
Here's a pic of the "factory" location for the negative cable.

Waldo?
wheres-waldo.jpg

:hihihi: