gl1100 fork movement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay but you've quite a ride to get here. Should be well warmed up by arrival though. :smilie_happy:

These old "wings are some lookers for sure. They do draw some attention. I'm really not much into racing but if you're ever in the area. I'm always up for a spirited ride.

kewl,, might have a plan goin in march,, big sue (maybe) trailering her bike down in March.. she drives plow truck for the co. in west mi.. so when that's done. (she also does hog roast's :popcorn: )

paul,, check your own tail lights,, last grudge match I was in was on snowmobile,, didn't work out so well for either party or one of the sleds..

On a "vaguely" related note, with the TRAK front forks on my '83 Aspencade how much fork dive is to be expected when braking hard? I was under the impression that the TRAK fork was supposed to limit this. I'm trying to diagnose if a fork rebuild is needed or not.

kb

what little I know/have read, about it is that the system doesn't really function well, (or at all) so I have never messed around w/it.. I do know I wish I would have put progressive springs in when I had the forks apart... but it can be done at anytime.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104728#p104728:1763pi9x said:
kerryb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:56 am[/url]":1763pi9x]
On a "vaguely" related note, with the TRAK front forks on my '83 Aspencade how much fork dive is to be expected when braking hard? I was under the impression that the TRAK fork was supposed to limit this. I'm trying to diagnose if a fork rebuild is needed or not.

kb
Each side has 4 preload positions.

Set them at 1, ride it and test the amount of dive from a controlled stop.

Reset them to 4, test again replicating the same controlled stop.

I grafted 83 TRAC onto my 82. Easy mod, kept the 82 calipers (unlinked).

Setting #4 gives significantly less dive than 1 or 2. I keep it there.
Last thought is have you checked/adjusted the fork air pressure?

all this bs tech of air and antidive devices ....just to use weak springs thinking comlort ...nothing better than the right springs ...as said above progressive springs ...super fix

thanks guys, I'll try experimenting with fork settings when I ride them again is the spring. I didn't mess with them when I put in new seals last june, but now there is plenty of time to have parts spread all over the shop.