gl1100 front brake master cylinder upgrade?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdegase

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all
ok heres what I have.
83 gl1100 standard... this was the original bike..
the front mastercylinder tank is getting really bad looking. need to replace this.
I noticed the gl1200 has a solid tank with a sight window..
now I know I can get the mastercylinder tank for the gl1100 and rebuild the cylinder.. but.
I have a friend who has 2 gl1200 aspincades sitting he is parting out.
I am thinking of getting the front MC assembly off one of these and putting it on my gl1100.
can anyone think of a reason this will not work?
if I remember right these are both in great shape. and have chrome covers and all.

sounds to me like agood thing to try your 83 and 1200 both have linked brakes so there output ought to be close and for sure the 1200 mc is better built and better looking

if it was me in your shoes id try it and see, you never know till you try it

I can't say one way or another of anyone who has done this but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Like Joe says they are similar systems in operation as well as size.
The only problem I could see is mounting or line size but if those line up go for it and let us know how it works out.

thanks guys..
I'm gonna try a couple pieces of the 1200 as soon as I get the time to go visit him
I'm thinking I might be able to use the seat as well.. as long as I take the mount in the front.. were gonna check it out..
will snap some pics to post here when I get there

The only thing I seem to recall in passing readings.. is that there may be a difference in out force to the calipers.. something about two pistons and single piston having different volume of fluid movement... not a problem if the two piston moves more volume.. but if the single pushes more then the brakes maybe weak..

Thanks Joe,
that makes sense.
looking at rebuild kits, it looks like both 83' gl1100, and 84 gl1200 take the same kit... after 84' the gl1200 and the gl1500 all take the same kit.
but both kits look to be single piston kits.
I think the donor bike is a 86' gl1200.
so we will see later today.

Thanks again guys..

BigAndrew":1yfik6l9 said:
I bought one of these but havnt installed it yet
Every week they have one up for bid at i think $30 less then the buy it now price

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-BR ... 20b06e8b31

I was always tempted to get me one of those, or the chrome one, but then I just said to hell with it and rebuilt the old one for $30. Slapped stainless lines on it, did the "tilt the caliper" bleed thingy, and they feel brand new.

I'd like to change my lines to stainless steel too, I gotta look back on one of the other threads where a few different lines were listed, One being a pretty good price :mrgreen:

BigAndrew":3vc00scq said:
I bought one of these but havnt installed it yet
Every week they have one up for bid at i think $30 less then the buy it now price

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-BR ... 20b06e8b31

that looks sweet.. it is not a OEM.. because the sight glass is on the inside of the housing towards the rider... I really like that..

ok went to the salvage yard... found a gl1200
as you all know the gl1100 has the banjo bolt comming straight out the back. but I found the 1200 has the banjo bolt comming out the side at the end.. this puts the line "in-line" with the handlebar and makes routing better..
also the rebuild kits com with the siteglass for the 1200 MC.
I found some other interesting things at the salvage yard.. but have to run to work..
will ba back to add more in a bit.

ok.. I'm back from the morning run..
seems some other models in 83 had solid tanks. I found a vt model with solid tank and siteglass... but this setup was made for differnt handelbars and would make the brake handle hang down awkwardly.
so I'm thinking the 86 1200 MC is the way to go...
I found 2 of them for 40$ each but these guys have been giving me good deals so I'm going to see what they want for the MC and a rebuild kit for it...
That should put me in good shape for the front brakes.

I'm interested to know what happened with the fitment of your 1200 M/C onto your 1100?

I have a '82 GL1100 and I don't like the looks of my reservoir either. For the price of a rebuild I see I can buy one of those aftermarket M/C's on ebay, however, what about when I need to do a rebuild on that in the future? I would like to use a 1200 M/C if at all possible, at least I know I can still get those rebuild kits for them. Plus, I can get a 1200 M/C cheaper than either a new aftermarket or the rebuild kit.

I'd like to know how the brakes worked out and what do you think if I were to try a "linked brake" system M/C with my independent brake system of my '82 GL1100I?

:beg:

the linked mc is probably not as strong as the independent MC ......and take more effort to grab the same brake.....not that its a bad thing there proably so close that it not problem :mrgreen:

jdept":u4goviyn said:
I'm interested to know what happened with the fitment of your 1200 M/C onto your 1100?

I have a '82 GL1100 and I don't like the looks of my reservoir either. For the price of a rebuild I see I can buy one of those aftermarket M/C's on ebay, however, what about when I need to do a rebuild on that in the future? I would like to use a 1200 M/C if at all possible, at least I know I can still get those rebuild kits for them. Plus, I can get a 1200 M/C cheaper than either a new aftermarket or the rebuild kit.

I'd like to know how the brakes worked out and what do you think if I were to try a "linked brake" system M/C with my independent brake system of my '82 GL1100I?

:beg:

I got a good deal on a new tank so I just replaced my tank... finally I am very happy with the results.
the new tank is white, and opaque. came with seals and a new cover and screws.
I the front masters I looked at would have had to be rebuilt and they were all asking $50 for them..
although I'm sure they would work I havent been able to try one.
I figuer if the old tank lasted close to 30years the new one should atleast get me through a few more :D

You can use ANY master cyl. as long as the piston dia. is at least as big as the original unit(5/8),AND the fitting dia./threds on the outlet are the same,AND the position of the outlet the same is,meaning straight out the side ,cause you cant twist the brake-line(if you swap to stainless lines it is possible to turn the fitting 90°).I`ve done this on all my other bikes(wing is next)cause I like an adjustable lever.I usually use one from a sport bike cause they have adj.levers and remote resivour(? caint spel).

I think a master that controls 2 brake calipers would displace more fluid that one that controls a single caliper.
atleast this is the example they gave me at local shop.

jdegase":yns1tskq said:
I think a master that controls 2 brake calipers would displace more fluid that one that controls a single caliper.
at least this is the example they gave me at local shop.
True! The front master for linked brake systems actually only operates one caliper. The rear master operates one front and one rear caliper.