GL1100 PVC Manifold and 34-3 outta box Carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks
Its leaking down the throat of the carb into the motor when off, while running it doesn't seem to affect idle. I left the bowl full and fuel line disconnected and it still drained to almost nothing. I've cleaned it (twice) and put a rebuild kit in. I can't see why, and see no cracks. Once I noticed after running and shutting it down and letting it sit a few minutes the next time I actuated the accelerator pump it kept spraying on its own without further movement like it had pressure, but the carb bowl has a vent and can't build pressure. I thought maybe its an issue with fuel line/tank pressure or suction so rerouted fuel line over top of frame and turned off petcock and took the cap off the tank and no difference. Maybe its just screwed and that's why it was sold used for only $20 on eBay. Whoever had it before me probably dumped it for this reason which they also didn't figure out.

Trying to google weber 32 32 carb gives me nothing, what do I google to find the carb you suggest?

I don't ride this enough long distance to care about mpg, its a toy and my commutes are short. It will have an uncomfortable but cool looking underpadded seat, so 35 is fine as long as it doesn't foul the plugs faster or build up carbon faster than it should. If it burns alot to ride on the secondary I can stay below that when my wallet is running thin provided it still makes good torque at low rpm with these heads. i don't know if these heads will rob me of torque and make it only fly at high rpm or what. I didn't change this engine it came this way.

:read:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126606#p126606:pq6fpayn said:
dkl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm[/url]":pq6fpayn]
Thanks for the input. My goal was to see if I could make something anyone could build, to be able to put it on a Junky old wing, and see if it was worth fixing. The Lagniappe, (Louisiana word), it ran almost exactly like I wanted. I come from a dirt bike background, and I love the torquey feel, it cruises smooth like a wing 55-75, it is simple to work on, trouble free, it just can't smoke the crotch rockets top-end.........
I am a Happy Camper.​
Lucky Build is a good choice of words.​
Do you have any pics of this setup on your bike. Also the carb you are using.

well let me say .. mine the plugs are looking great ...and mpg is in the 35 range ... i also think maybe the bowl venting is not enough somehow for oldwing motors ... not sure at the moment i am running carb dry as stated ... i am thinking seriously of modding in more venting in carb bowl...just not quite sure yet ....it seems these modded 1200s are quite the suction pumps on the carbs and might be whats going on with your carb ... more motor related than bad carb ...just guessing ...but it is worth noting i am having some what same problem as you maybe ... even eric can tell you with stock carbs there was a huge miss match in vac signal to stock carb set up ... and he had to reduce the vac to slides to keep the slides from raising all the way from part throttle ... these 1200 modded motors are different breed totally from stock ....

One thing that's different about my carb from stock I forgot to mention is that I filled the hole in the butterfly on the throttle plate per directions on the samba vw site, to fix a bit of hesitation she had because she wasn't using any vaccuum from the engine. The engine doesn't make enough vaccuum for this carb so vaccum ports on carb are just plugged on mine and everyone elses. It's the same fix they use with this carb on a vw that uses a 009 distributor which also doesn't have vaccuum advance. Or vw with other mods like better coils. That did fix the hesitation btw, no more problem there, but dkls 1100 doesn't have a hesitation. Sergey's stock 1200 also has some hesitation, maybe not as much as mine because he never fixed it. Nobody else filled the buttrfly hole I'm the only one, but it was leaking before that fix too I think.

One thing that just came to mind is maybe the butterfly is closing all the way after my mod taking it apart, and it's my engine/manifold creating the pressure or suction from temperature changes. Without a hole in the butterfly it could be creating a sealed chamber of the entire manifold. I'll have to check that. Butterfly on this is supposed to be cracked open, remain cracked open at all times with proper high idle screw setting. I forgot to look at that or think of it until explaining having filled the butterfly hole. Could be one big pressure chamber with a 1200cc heatsink on one end and sealed carb at the other.

34-3 VW carb.
image.jpg

And here's my copy in black PVC, other than color identical...

Attachments

• IMG_20140609_162606.jpg
    IMG_20140609_162606.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 187
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126214#p126214:3nzde5am said:
dkl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 pm[/url]":3nzde5am]
After I figure out IPAD, I will post video on Single PVC Manifold build. :builder:
file.php
Where do you find that 5 way fitting in the middle? :thanks:

Flex PVC website, it is a side outlet cross, full flow. It is listed as furniture grade, but that is because that fitting will not pass plumbing codes in some areas...it is sch 40.

I used 1500 coils on mine because it has Dyna ignition and I am unsure of how it will work on 77 wiring. Lots of folks have used them on 1100's with success. They are low ohm, (0.6 ~) so for me to use them, I would need 2.5 ohms resistance for them. Busy with the honey-do list for a few weeks, but I may put them on when time. I think they might work better.

I would love to see someone mount a 2 to 1 adapter with a DFT 32/32 on the top of this PVC manifold. The volume of the "plenum" is very small compared to the VW plenum that many of us are using.

The single carb setup with VW plenum was developed to a high degree and then the adapter was added to even out the charge distribution. But it is not ideal: the adapter feeds into a larger volume of the plenum which must slow down charge. Plus we have more sharp corners than ideal.

This PVC setup with adapter would have the smallest possible volume and a smoother path.

Brian

yes it might be that way brian but i also see ....that the oldwing motor create huge air flow at high rpm ... and its quite possible that the lack of volume creates the shut down effect at high rpm ... it seems that ones with huge runners of 1 1/2" and type4 are not loosing anything on top ... i know i am not for sure .... and i am also not have any running problems anywhere else in the rpm off idle to 10,000 rpm where the revv limiter kicks in ... but that my bike with hi flow 1200 motor and bigger carb than most are using .... when i had 1100 with great motor and stock carbs ...there was a shut down point in them at higher rpm ... and when modded to 77 1000 carbs with more flow rate that shut down didnt happen anymore .... flow is a thing like jetting that has its just right point

I'm going to check this vw carb one last time for a leak with butterfly cracked and if it still leaks overnight then I'll be the guinea pig for 32dft on this manifold. I thought if reduced plenum volume turns out to be a problem I could stick a small shallow electrical box between this manifold and 2-1 adapter for an expansion chamber.

Are you guys getting a discount from stovebolt or did the price go up? I read $90 for that carb but now it seems they want $95 plus $20 shipping, plus 17 for 2-1 adapter.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126760#p126760:blgwdxo9 said:
who444444 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:27 am[/url]":blgwdxo9]
still a great deal and good price on 2 to 1 adapter.
dave

Agreed, everywhere else online its over $200 for a new one. But at this price I can afford to splurge for new rather than rebuilding a used one. I've spent enough time on carbs lately after going round and round with this one and rebuilding the stock cabs to sell them. Just for the record I wanted single carb regardless of performance because I don't like screwing around with lots of carbs. Ironic I should end up working on more this route but oh well, future maintenance will be easier, eventually.

Well the vw carb still leaked with butterfly cracked so the weber upgrade is on.

But my budget just took another hit realizing I can't put off a new water pump and gasket kit, so I bought a used 32dfta, another under $20 shipped carb.* If its salvageable after I see it in person*, I'll start a new thread about using it on this manifold.

Thanks guys...

Latest posts