GL1100i Output shaft

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles franz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the spring and cam lobe do on the final output shaft? Does it comppress letting the drive shaft go to the motor, and if it does how much? Trying to keep my ducks in a row for a trike build. Thanks very much, Charlie in NC

You folks are the BEST! I have just one more question, does the ouput shaft get longer as it and the spring ride up on the came lobe? The reason I am asking is because I have not bought a splined shaft as on the old front drive shaft on a four wheel drive vehicle, Just need to know if the drive shaft can be a solid shaft without any movement end to end, My lateral arms to the mustang rear end will be level to the output shaft, maybe no lateral movement at all, Just saying, any help will be thankful, I will post this build from start to finish!! Just do not want any suprises, Thanks for all of your help! Charlie in NC

The output shaft is splined to the output gear, which is inside the engine, so any change in the shaft length is taken care of there. The splined stub sticking out of the rear cover does not move, other than rotating. Just to be safe, in case there's any flexing, I would still use at least the single u-joint in the drive shaft.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115912#p115912:2rizyzgg said:
Steve83 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 pm[/url]":2rizyzgg]
The output shaft is splined to the output gear, which is inside the engine, so any change in the shaft length is taken care of there. The splined stub sticking out of the rear cover does not move, other than rotating. Just to be safe, in case there's any flexing, I would still use at least the single u-joint in the drive shaft.

+1 and angle it slightly.

Latest posts