GL1500 project bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5Performance

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just missed a 1994 Goldwing on auction the other day. It sat at $800 for over a week, and of course I decided that was too cheap to pass up.
The bike was already mine (in my head) and I started thinking of all the trips I could take with it. BUT...other bidders thought otherwise. The bike ended up over $3000 which was still a great deal but way over my budget.

My wife laughed because I do that all the time and rarely end up the winning bidder, but I really want a "cheap" 1500 to finish the C5 ignition project. Plus I find the 1500 to be more comfortable than the 1800...a bonus for tall guys like me. One of the first jobs I had after high school was assembling new GL1500's at our local Honda shop. I loved them ever since!

If anyone sees an abused, crashed, mistreated, or ugly 1500, especially near Wisconsin. I'll gladly clear out a spot in the garage for it.
Are there any particular years that would be more desirable? As I recall there weren't many changes over the years.

93 model picked up needle bearings for the rocker arm pivots. In 97 it received a stronger clutch along with some Valkyrie engine parts like the main bearings, piston and ring sets, valve springs, con-rod bolts. The Valkyrie final drive was fitted to it as well as much of the gearbox. From looking at the specs it appears that there were not any gear ratio changes during the thirteen year run of the 1500's in the gearbox or the final drive. 95 model got a little lower and stiffer suspension.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178750#p178750:3rmul9z0 said:
backlander » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:33 pm[/url]":3rmul9z0]
93 model picked up needle bearings for the rocker arm pivots. In 97 it received a stronger clutch along with some Valkyrie engine parts like the main bearings, piston and ring sets, valve springs, con-rod bolts. The Valkyrie final drive was fitted to it as well as much of the gearbox. From looking at the specs it appears that there were not any gear ratio changes during the thirteen year run of the 1500's in the gearbox or the final drive. 95 model got a little lower and stiffer suspension.

I wonder if the cam changed? I'll have to look that up since it could affect our ignition kit. Thanks for all the great info!

The cam timing was changed in 90, as well as carburetion, & drive train back lash. When i bought my 1500 told them that i wanted no part of the 88 or 89, :nea: which were a good bit cheaper, still new with 3 year's no mileage limit. :roll:

I believe the GL had two carbs with Valks getting the 6 carb setup on all versions.
I would leave the 6 carb setup as a tribute to Louis. Nothing looked better to this day than his Cushman Truckster with that setup!

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 269
yes that was cool looking build...yah seems a 1500 dresser would be easiest to put dual car carbs on it ... that were epa detoxed into strait carbs ...id like to have a project build of that :mrgreen:

If you want a single carb just make sure that you fit a blower underneath it!! :good:

If you were closer to Alabama I would hook you up nicely with a 1500 project . I purchased 2 one is a 97 se that did a highside flip at 19k miles and the other was a complete bike with 156k that had a blown engine. Tear down is done engine swap is done it runs but it needs a new alternator and reassembled. I purchased a 87 gl1200 and lost interest in the time consuming project. I have everything there paint is good but not flawless everything electrical worked as it should before i took it apart .i paid $2000 for the bikes and 90% of the work is done i just dont have time to fool with it right now if your interested give me a call @2057174228 if your not it can sit in the barn until my 1200 bites the dust.

87c377e2924559e329f1fa1cf5df0972.jpg
0ea0d8069ba1e1db420bb24666b11bca.jpg
a70b21f4082cc10cc8c9f7a09aafc56a.jpg
866e5386cbd87738430c7f5329ee867d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

hmmm now thats a project .... id like to put that back together ...there is a huge challenge with the 1500s i bet ...nice shop and would be needed that to pull off a 1500 build in comfort