Got a new helmet today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcgovern61":1xuqhcsu said:
Here is an article on the wind effect:

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

And here is a tutorial on adding a GL1500 vent to a GL1100:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/vie ... p_to=20653

And here is a place you can purchase one:

https://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/347_ ... r_or_Smoke

Good stuff Gerry.

Nearly all of our windshields have vents. These vents are part of the aerodynamic design of the shield, to reduce turbulence and noise. They are not there to make a flow of air on the rider. When you're riding on the highway, any windshield is pushing air away from the rider. This leaves a low- pressure pocket between the windshield and the rider. The air flowing past the motorcycle wants to drop into this low pressure area. If the outside air is allowed to spill into the area between the windshield and the rider, the result is turbulence, noise, and drafts. When outside air spills into the rider area, it almost always falls in a curved path, causing spinning vortices of air. These vortices are noisy and can cause the battering and hammering on your helmet reported by some riders. (That's Me!) Our windshields and vents are designed to funnel air into the rider region to relieve this low pressure area and greatly reduce the tendency of outside air to spill in. The vents are designed so that the air coming through them is quickly dispersed, leaving almost no detectable air flow at the rider. Our goal is to produce almost completely still air on the rider with no back pressure.

Noise seems to vary greatly from helmet to helmet. I have some full coverage helmets that are quiet and some that are very noisy. The best I have is an old Bell that is just smooth on the top. Seems when they start playing with the shape of the top of the helmet they make more noise. Something to seal off some of the open area at the bottom of the helmet seems to help alot with noise. I also use the little foam ear plugs on longer rides sometimes.

Dan":3dg7nck3 said:
The vents are designed so that the air coming through them is quickly dispersed, leaving almost no detectable air flow at the rider

My old 750 Hondamatic had a Shadow Royal fairing, and it had two round vents in the lower edges of the windershield. They were about 4" diameter, best I can remember, and they were adjustable, much like a round A/C vent in a car. I always thought they were to allow more cool air to the rider, and wondered why they didn't work very well. Now I know! :eek:k:
I could ride that thing all day, as fast as I wanted to, and never loose the cap off me head.... :mrgreen:

my 1500 wing has a vent in the windshield, my 1200 wing does not have a vent in the windshield but is a bit taller but not by much and has less turbulence. but if i tilt my ff helmet slightly it cuts down on wind noise

Yer right.....

It is funny as hell!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Funny how a simple question can turn into a physics lesson- It is amazing the difference any windshield makes- My 80 'Wing was completely naked when I bought her and I had to ride her five miles on the interstate to get the original tires replaced- about the longest five miles of my life- semi's blowing me around- so much turbulance I couldn't even turn my head to look in my mirrors- if I had my eyeglasses would have been history and probably I would have been too cause I'm blind as a bat- bought a used Slipstreamer and my 'Wing isn't naked anymore but it sure a lot more fun to ride! Anyway, Dan, just get some tat's to match the helmet and your kid'll be ok with it... Mine's a lot more boring but I think you'll like it-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well the verdict is in, I like an open face much more!

Although road noises around me are louder the helmet noise is so much less I'll find it hard to put a full face back on.
Besides that this one is so much lighter. I would get a stiff painful muscle in my neck with the full face, I felt only a small amount today on a nearly continues 245 mile ride. Another thing I don't hear about in the forums is my nose would itch with a full face, would drive me nuts, didn't happen at all today.

My mission now is to reduce the buffeting. I'm going to order the above vent.
I can hear a lot of wind noise coming from the fairing now. I'm sure it was there before but with a open face I can hear it now.
Not sure where thats coming from. Almost seems to be from down low near the bars.

Any ideas on that?

I really don't like the buffeting either. Mine seems to come from the sides. It's rather annoying. I tried opening the fairing vents, but they don't change anything that I can notice.

I saw you had a set of these on your bike, Dan. What difference do they make?
2614image1.jpg

I wanted to order a vent from wingstuff but they don't take paypal. That's where any play money I EVER have is so I found one on fleabay for $48.95 including shipping.
I wanted to order from wingstuff to help a local business out but I asked them a week ago if they took Paypal, their response was "soon". Since I don't know when soon is I went elsewhere.

Should be here in a few days then I'll be asking how to cut it in :builder:

That's rediculous! (IMO) It only takes a couple minutes to create a PayPal account and maybe a day or so to have your info confirmed, and they don't really charge anymore than a credit card company for a transaction. And not much harder to deal with when a transaction goes south.

It only makes good sense for a business to make every way possible for a customer to give them money. Anything less is just poor management. I don't get it. Maybe I'm just not too savy?

I agree completely.
Guess they don't want my business bad enough to make the effort.
I even used the admin@classicgoldwings email account thinking they'd jump on any chance to generate more sales.
Oh well, their loss as far as I'm concerned.
Companies need to wise up and keep in mind with the net it's soooo easy to buy elsewhere!

Some people are just paranoid about doing anything financial on the 'net- mostly old people -even tho I hate to say I pretty much qualify for that myself- and I hate to label people- but how many 20-yr olds hesitate to buy stuff online- I'd say these guys are just behind the online curve- help 'em out, Dan

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15707#p15707:jhkge6nm said:
dan filipi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 pm[/url]":jhkge6nm]
Had some spare time today so I stopped in a M/C shop and bought this helmet.

image.php

The first thing my son said is "it looks gay", sheesh.

Does it?
Now I'm all self conscious about wearing it.
Yeah, Kids they all think everything is gay. My son said the same thing about almost everything he seen. Nutz .. lol I think it rocks also the wife and I were looking into getting new lids as well. Just unsure what way to go full of 3/4? LOL just looked at the date on this post Yeah I'm tired,,./ :headscratch: