Got everything back together but the bike wouldn't start....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean- turn the key on, my lights, gauges, and indicators/ horn all work- hit the 'start' button, the headlight goes out, and... NOTHING!!!!!! no click no starter- NO GOOD !!!!

I got out my trusty Honda manual and my multimeter, went to the starter section, and started ohming things out and checking voltages. I was getting my voltages to the solenoid but nothing to the starter. I used a jumper cable and went straight from the battery to the starter- starter ran fine! Great! Now all I needed was a solenoid. But I didn't have one. I did have a fairly good sized ball peen hammer, though, and after a fairly generous application of love taps tried it again- Great! Hit the 'start' button and the starter runs like it's supposed to.

My question is- should I put in a new solenoid or find a good place on the bike to strap my hammer?

I still can't believe that until I parked the bike to pull the carbs and try and fix my fouling problem I had no starting problems at all. I rip everything apart, get it back together, and the bike was dead- I was sure I'd screwed something up big time- Do you think that if I have more carb problems I should try my magic hammer on them?

You can keep trying the magic hammer and when that doesn't work, just get a bigger hammer!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I would replace the solenoid! It is cheap, easy and it won't leave you smacking yourself with a hammer! :whip: :builder:

Check the connections to the solenoid, could be bappin it with the hammer made a loose connection make contact.

How is it running otherwise?
You had a problem with #1 fouling right?

Yes, Dan, The fouling #1 started it all. Took the carbs off and checked them although I left all the carbs together just checked the floats, pilots,etc. I could not find anything- the carbs were like new inside, the floats were all set right, I don't know if I fixed anything or not. I haven't really run the bike yet- just started it (since the solenoid started working). I was in the garage tonight putting the last bits and pieces back on and the last thing I did was see if she would start- fired right up. So tomorrow morning I'll get to take a ride and right now I really don't care if that plug fouls or not- I just want to go for a ride. I'll take a pocket full of plugs and a plug wrench- and a hammer!!! Still real happy with the sissy bar and luggage rack you sent me- I'll see if I can get some pictures up. Was- when I bought her last month- totally naked Standard. Now- slipstreamer clear windshield, engine bars, and your rack- love it !!!

mcgovern61- thanks, I'll replace the solenoid- after all, it'll be easier than carrying my magic hammer around, and if I feel the need to bang myself in the head (which does happen fairly often) there is always the stray 2x4, brick wall, or my ex's logic....

Should I go with a NAPA-quality replacement or do I need the real (expensive) Honda thing?

Thanks!