Greetings from Minnesota

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I live in the land of 10,000 taxes. I joined because I am contemplating replacing my present ride. I presently own a 1989 Yamaha Venture. I've owned it for about 8 years and put about 50,000 (it now has 110,000) miles on it. It's a good enough machine but I was kind of beat when I bought it and has not gotten any in the looks department. I am ready for something that looks a little nicer.
I owned an 86 Goldwing Interstate from about 1988 to 1994, I liked the bike but sold it when kids started coming. If I buy a Goldwing it will probably be a 1200, I am not really interested in a 1500 and an 1800 is not in my budget. I am also considering buying another Venture or a Kawasaki Voyager XII. I am here to learn more about what to look for in a higher milage Wing and find out if a Honda flat four can be made to perform like the Yamaha V-4.
Jeff

Welcome from Oz. It may not perform as well as your Yamaha V4 but it will certainly outlast it. :good:

Welcome to Classics from PA! I am not one to discount the 1200, but have you thought about the Valkyrie? It seems the going price for those right now is around $4K to $4.5K

Welcome from europe
The 89 venture is a 1300. this venture was really fast with a powerfull engine and lots of clearance for corners, a bike for sitting the whole day on, had a bad chassis plenty of wobbles speeding over 70mph and sometimes dangerous at +80. with progressiv suspensions you could manage to top speed without wobbles and follow ducatis in the mountains. The center of gravity was high and so dificult to ride by less than 5-10mph. The venture wanted to fall down. I had a 1300 88 to 94, in the same time i had a 82 gl1100 interstate beautiful wobble bike, then a 93 ultra glide, beautiful but slow, then a 87 gl1200 aspencade with eml sidecar, then a 91 gl1500 se and since aprox 5 years again a 86 gl1200 aspencade. The gl1200 seems to me to be a bicycle, the center of gravity so low, easy to steer, quite power without vibrations, totally reliable, the sitting confort is good but a little level under the venture. Taking also the driving work under confort then the gl1200 wins clearly. Enough ground clearance to ride in the mountains, not the gl1100, the 1500 and the ultra, they are limited by i think aprox 30°. Easy to handle anytime. The venture is a big bike and feels like a big bike, the gl1200 remains a bicycle under the big bikes. My best dresser!

Thanks for the welcome

Ansimp":7s2hefi0 said:
Welcome from Oz. It may not perform as well as your Yamaha V4 but it will certainly outlast it. :good:

I don't agree with this. The Yamaha V-4 is a reliable unit. Yamaha did have some second gear issues '83-'85 but overall the drive train is stout and reliable

brianinpa":7s2hefi0 said:
Welcome to Classics from PA! I am not one to discount the 1200, but have you thought about the Valkyrie? It seems the going price for those right now is around $4K to $4.5K
[/quote]

Good idea but 1200's can be easily had around here for less than $3000. There are even some 1500's available for that figure or less. That is more in the area of what I want to spend.

I agree that the Venture feels top heavy. That is part of why I am considering going back to a 1200 Goldwing. Another reason is that there are more of them available. I love the power of the Venture. It pulls hard past redline with no modifications. It's been 20 years since I've owned a 1200 but I just don't remember it having the power of my Venture. The Goldwing got better fuel economy, consistently 40 mpg, the Yamaha 33-35 mpg. I also agree that the Goldwing handled better overall. To make the Venture handle better I have Progressive springs in the forks and a heavier fork brace. I checked, lubed and adjusted the steering head bearings, did the same to the swing arm bearings and replaced the suspension linkage (worn plastic bushings). I still don't think My Venture handles any better than my Goldwing did completely stock. To be fair the Goldwing was pretty new when I owned it, bought it with 6000 miles and sold it with around 30,000 miles on it and my Yamaha has 110,000 on it. For me the comfort of the two is equal.

Both bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. For me what I purchase will probably come down to availability and price.

1200 is a great choice and can be modified a number of ways if so desired. I lost out on a Venture purchase just before I bought my first Goldwing. Nice looking bikes.

@jeff1
I agree with you, just the point reliable was not really good with my venture. Every end season had to change the rear break caliper, and the carburetors membranes. This was the only bike i had with such problems. That's why i sold my venture and tryed ultra and goldwing. I rest with goldwing, was always cheaper for me, not so sporty but enough dynamic in the mountains. Getting older isn't anymore necessary to beat ducatis :)

Latest posts