Greetings from the north west USA coast.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedz

Reaction score
New to here but been a GL owner for a number of years now.
Still learning tricks, still obsessed and will likely never own a different bike.

I have been a member of another forum for a while now as well, and learning much there.
I was told that this site is helpful as well and I want to broaden my connections for group rides, knowledge, and maybe garage time.

I am in the process of fixing up my 2 girls. I have had my 79 GL 1000 the longest. Very trusty and now she runs far better after a good carb rebuild and sync. Couldn't have done it without a good kit and Carbtune. I am currently installing bags and a Vetter Windjammer IV Vindicator on it. Rather slow going as I need to fabricate a bracket to set my rear fender where I like it. Also missing the bike to fairing wiring. Keeping an eye out for a kit that will plug right in to the stock connectors on the bike so I don't have to splice. I may want to go nekkid again someday. So for now I run nekkid front with the fairing bracket installed (wishful thinking) and bags on rear.

My 83 GL 1100I, well that is a sad story and frustrating one as time goes on. I just bought her after the PO had a girl run a stop sign while talking on a cell phone. At somewhere around 25 to 45 he went down and slid smack into a curb on the right side. Tire took the brunt of the hit. Which in turn bent the tubes, busted the brace, and bent the axle. Also the fairing was demolished. He sadly didn't save any parts of the fairing to my dismay. I recently bought a set of forks on Ebay and come to find out they are likely off a GL1100 Standard. I put them on and set them in place and the mounting holes for the caliper brackets are about a 1/2 inch short. Lots of frustration there. So I moved onto trying to put that Vetter on the 83...nope no go, the mount was for a 78/79. The frame is not quite the same. Finding this out after removing the old mount and battling bad screws/bolts. But I have a Hondaline fairing that only needs the internal wiring and if it is different from the original fairing plug, a plug that I can swap so it will plug into my existing wiring on the bike.

For now I have 2 bikes, one is not street-able, the other kinda is but need to make brackets and tighten the bags. So its not able to ride for the moment.
Sorry for the rambling, but that's my story :)

Edit so I don't pad my post count :cool:
A pic of my 79 prior to changing the seat to hold 2 people and also prior to the Sea air making her turn all sorts of ugly colors.

Attachments

• 79GL1000.jpg
    79GL1000.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 114
Hello and welcome! "...fixing your two girls..." And I thought, well, suppose if I had daughters I would understand.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am new and already have an update. I decided to dress the 79 up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20130622_000001.jpg
    IMG_20130622_000001.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20130622_000013.jpg
    IMG_20130622_000013.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 88