Having issues with a trunk latch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
My dad has a 1990 GL1500, so this question is more for him than me, although I am curious. I haven't been able to look at the trunk latch my self as of yet to see if I can see the problem, but I'm sure if a man that has been a mechanic for 30+ yrs can't find the problem, I'm probably not going to be able to. So here it is.

Over the summer he and my mom were out riding, and stopped for a break, most likely lunch if you ask me, we're southern and Baptist, so you know we likes to eats. :smilie_happy: Before mounting back up, my mom had to get her helmet out of the trunk, and while closing it, the trunk would not latch and has not since. There is no obvious signs of discord such as anything that is obviously bent or misshapen, but there has to be a reason for the trunk not to latch. Has this ever happened to anyone here? Does any one here have any ideas we might be able to try to remedy the situation with out having to replace the locking mechanism? :head bang: :builder: :sensored:

On my 1100 it sometimes doesn't want to fully close down on the seal... have them check the seals for signs of pinching... also check the hinges to see if on got torqued.. also I would look in the latching area to see if something is in behind the latch hook area.. just some food for thought from another SBC member

I've never seen the 1500 trunk latch but making a suggestion.

If the latch mechanism is like on a car door, there's a hook that cams around to secure the other half (the door in this case) when it's closed. I've had that cam/latch part spin around and prevent the door from closing and it took manually pushing the piece back with a screwdriver.

I got a chance to take a quick look at the bike today. After inspecting, I noticed that the tabs that are mounted to the lid and activate the lock mechanism were misaligned. A couple of turns with a screw driver and some adjusting, and the lid locks like a brand new one. Thanks for the help guys.

Ain't nutthin a hammer and a screwdriver cain't fix... :builder:

Latest posts