Head Gasket safe removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
OK I finally got my gasket set for my heads and I need to clean these heads and block of gasket junk. I tried a couple of removers no go. I have a can of goof off. I haven't tried that yet. What is the best way?

pics would be great ...but it usually no simple way ..goof off sounds good to try ...and a putty knife or various other things ...just dont dig ...use touch to keep from diving in to hard ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178503#p178503:2s3l1518 said:
Nightcorona » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 am[/url]":2s3l1518]
Yeah I saw that one but where do you get one? Harbor freight? I looked everywhere else.
Harbor freight would have the tool fitting, if you cant find the 3M yellow pad there are many on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... d&_sacat=0

OK I will look into seeing if I can order one and maybe try aircraft stripper. Is there any special tricks to putting the heads back on? I am getting anxious now I am getting close to the moment of truth.

Check the block surface for flatness with a strait edge, cylinders should line up with the block,I always chase the head bolt threads to be sure you get a good seat, When installing heads I use a tiny bit of grease on each head bolt before install, take it slow and be careful with the belt timing, always turn over a few times by hand and double/triple check the belt timing.

I noticed the official video they used an El cheapo torque wrench. I am assuming this is good enough. I don't think there is much oil left up with the cams. Should I oil it? Also whoever took the head off last time made on scratch on the inner surface by the valves I am hoping that copper gasket seal will deal with. I have a lot of stain after I got the gasket off. I suppose that is OK.

0811161357a.jpg
0811161401.jpg

Here are both heads and zoom on scratch lots of stain

Attachments

• 0811161357b.jpg
    0811161357b.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 124
I wonder if a fine (not a coarse) wire wheel chucked up in an dremel or drill wouldn't clean it up quick and spiffy?

If used with care it shouldn't remove any aluminum.

i think it would ride over that mostly ....ok your hands are great tools ...you can feel over the head and feel if its flat really ....there some staining in those pics and it dosnt have to mirror finish just flat ...but you should have a strait edge of some kind ..these heads are not big and it reall not that hard to get them flat ...one of those brass wire hand brushes work pretty good with brushes you jus cant push down it will remove stuff if wires are strait not mashed down ...you look very close to finish here really just stay at it till good and flat

I think I would mill down to get rid of those scratches across the sealing ring...but then I'm not there to feel them to know if they'd be a problem.
The one though looks like it could be a bit deep with aluminum sticking up. A machinists ruler will tell more what needs to be done.

0811161731.jpg

OK how clean is clean. I scotch padded it and worked it forever. The scratches are mil deep if that one doesn't enter the cylinder the other does but it goes off into the gasket. Shouldn't the copper gasket seal fix that? I can't feel one at all the other just a little. Need to get this back together at least enough to see if I have compression that's if the one bad carb I got rebuilt enough to work lol and I still have to get as much rust residue out of the tank... Ahhhhhhhhhh

Maybe have a look at Joedrum's work with a long fine file as he managed an almost machine shop finish. Using your straight edge make sure the surfaces are nice and flat.

hmmm it looking prettu good ...take rest and refresh a bit ...dont judge it while you are wore out a bit ...use a mag glass to really look at it good ...you have time to make sure this is flat and has gotten your best

Latest posts