Hello Folks! Yet another new "old-wing" owner.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hello and "THANKS!!!", to all who have helped me with their past postings on the 82' GL-1100 I just bought. I am a motorhead, but things sure go allot faster and smoother when your learning from someone who's been there and done that. I hope I can return the favor at some point. (or at least try to be funny in trying!)

I've purchased a 1982 GL-1100 naked-wing off of CL with 18,500 miles for $500,"YAHOO!!!". It's been sitting in a garage for the last ten years or so. Knowing a little bit about Honda and their reputation concerning older bikes, it was a no-brainer to buy a very-old,non-running -"GoldWing", over a running twinstar for $650! It took very little to "unfreeze" the engine. (Im guessing the sellers garage was climate controlled). I've got her all cleaned up except for the gas tank. The tank is not too bad though, Im just waiting for the it to de-rust a bit more. (It's partially filled with white-vinegar). The fuel gauge sending unit is pretty ugly, I will be getting one from evilbay soon. Im doing a custom intake with a 4-to-1 carb conversion with the VW34pict3 carburetor. Im not gonna play games with syncing carbs since I really don't have to. Although the carb-rack looks pretty good. Only the butterflies are frozen. The carb-slides actually move! Still going with a single carb all the way. I will save the carb-rack since they are original to the bike. The bike also came with leather saddles and a padded sissy bar too. Im thinking that I may pair the leather-bags onto my passenger seat; framed with a custom-made rack that will include an adjustable drivers backrest.

In my view- Anyone not willing to take a chance on an old GoldWing is truly depriving themselves of a well designed,dependable,economical and very fun machine! Or their just plain "lacking" in Honda's motorcycle history and knowledge. Thanks again to all for the great informative posts! Happy motoring!

Before Dissassembled:
DCP_2220.JPG

DCP_2223.JPG

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! Nice bike!!! :clapping:

This may seem like a silly question, if your headlights and turn signals are still on the forks (hopefully not disassembled yet), can you take a look and see exactly where the front turn signal wires are routed from coming out of the brackets? :beg:

I have just recently removed my Vetter fairing and returned my bike back to an '82 Standard and I seem to have done something wrong routing my turn signal wires (they got cut on the bracket).

Hello to all and thanks for the kind welcome. As far as the forks go, Im just gonna vacuum the old fork oil and replace with new oil, and then pressurize them. If new seals are needed I will address that in the Spring and just add air when needed until then. Im currently driving a Ford-V10miles-per-gallon so I need to get my sickle happy and running.

Im not sure about the front blinker wires routing. Im sure plenty of folks on this site have that answer though!

No wonder I couldn't find any breaker points/condenser for my bike; electronic ignition!!! Yaaay! Honda!!!

Just FYI- I will post some pics of my intake manifold once it's assembled in about 2 weeks.

Proud law abiding American's know they need to carry a gun since cops are too heavy!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97279#p97279:3tg9biak said:
CC » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:58 pm[/url]":3tg9biak]
In my view- Anyone not willing to take a chance on an old GoldWing is truly depriving themselves of a well designed,dependable,economical and very fun machine! Or their just plain "lacking" in Honda's motorcycle history and knowledge. Thanks again to all for the great informative posts! Happy motoring!

Can we get an Amen! Welcome to Classics from PA!

CC":3tg9biak said:
Proud law abiding American's know they need to carry a gun since cops are too heavy!!!

Not only that, but when seconds count, it takes 12 minutes for them to respond! 1911 was a very good year and John Moses Browning was a genius!

Hi again folks. I took a picture of my bikes right-front blinker feed harness. The left-front blinker also has it's own feed harness that comes from the bucket. (I can't take a decent picture of the left harness at the this point). I don't plan on opening the bucket since everything is working fine. I also took a picture of the bike's current status of disassembly with my 1970 Fox minibike in the background. I hope this helps to the person who asked about the blinkers power harness position. (Im still learning how to get around the site etc... so I appreciate everyone's patience). Thanks, CC

Attachments

• DCP_2307.JPG
    DCP_2307.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DCP_2308.JPG
    DCP_2308.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 119
CC, Thanks!! Exactly the information I needed! I now know why my wires got cut, the wires are supposed to be inside a wire loom/chafing guard! (Not exposed like mine.) :hi: :thanks:

Hey thats great Gerry! -I hope all goes well! (Im "slowly" learning my way around here; but it is happening). :)

I didn't take any pics of my bikes first start in 10 years. But as it turns out, my landlord did! All that mavels-mystery oil made it's presence known for sure. (no, the pic had nothing to do with breaking epa laws; my former landlord was cool and sent me the pic).

Attachments

• First start in 10 years small.jpg
    First start in 10 years small.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 116
That is a clean looking bike for the age. You nailed a deal on that one!

I have a friend local here that has a gl1200 with a side hack on it. Considering if I want to go that direction or go for a lower slung cruiser bike since my back is not in good shape for holding up a goldwing at traffic lights. Many options, my wife is now in training on her Honda 750 Shadow ACE, it is a great handling bike, just not enough power for me on the open highway. It does get good mpg for the commute to work it gets 41 mpg consistantly.