Hello from Florida, What exactly constitutes "classic" and what should I be looking for?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulpryor

Reaction score
Hello to all from Florida.

I just joined this forum because I've had the Goldwing bug for a little over a year now. I hit me when I was up at the Shenandoah NP and I was thinking how neat it would be to have a GW with a trailer for camping gear and my wife and I spending the days tooling along skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway.

I like the GW because it looks like it would be a very comfortable ride for long distance trips. I also like that it seems to be a quieter bike than most folks are riding today.

I have a couple of questions for you experienced folks. What exactly constitutes a "classic" GW and what year and model should I be looking for as far as reliability is concerned. My budget will be 3500 or less. I like the style with the rectangular headlight instead of round. That's just a personal preference. I'm pretty good mechanically, but have never really done much work on bikes, just cars.

Another question... What is the difference between aspencade and interstate?

I hope that this isn't too much to put into one post. If I should split them up into different areas let me know. Thanks.

Welcome Paul.

Well for me, the classics are the flat four GW.
These include the 75-79 1000, the 80-83 1100, and the 84-87 1200.

I think the ultimate preference among those models for smoothness and comfort is the 1200 Aspencade.
You should be able to find a 84-85 Aspi for $3500 but it might be a hard search to find one in that range that doesn't need some work or have a lot of miles but deals do come along with cash in hand.

The Interstate is the basic touring model. The Aspencade has all the bells and whistles.
Stay away from the fuel injected model 1200, I'm not sure what year that is.
When working they work great but if parts are needed they are hard to find.

Welcome aboard. If you want to haul trailor on a regular basis. I suggest you pick a model with mag wheels. Not hard there most have them. 84 1200 was the first with hydraulic lifters and hydraulic clutch.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, paulpryor!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Goldwings are definitely well suited for touring, so you are looking for the right bike. Good Luck with your search! :good:

Welcome to the forum Paulpryor.
Good luck in locating your wing. With a little work and help from
the forum you will have a nice running GW.
Enjoy :salute:

I agree with dans definition of classic wings as four cylinder wings.And the 1200 (square headlamp) is smoother,but I believe there are more trouble some than most wings.

Opinions are like a...... belly buttons,but I trully believe the 1100s are the most reliable,and I have no trouble toting a trailor and then some with mine.
Enjoy whatever you buy.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

I road a 1200 Limited Edition which is the fuel injected model. It was a sweet ride...smooth...quiet...and powerful. BUT....it breaks down more often than my '82 1100 and parts are very hard to find for the fuel injector setup since they were only "limited edition". There were a lot more bells and whistles on that bike than mine, but I prefer simple over a lot of electronics (particularly on a near 30 year old piece of machinery). Another difference I found on the 1200 VS my 1100, the amount of plastic on the fairing and lowers caused all of the heat from the engine to get blown down on my feet!! I have a Vetter fairing with removable lowers and take them off for summer riding.

I ride an 86 Aspencade With only 53,000 0n her and she still runs like a new one.She DOES need some final drive work, but that is because , I believe, the previous owner never had it greased. Other than that she still runs like the day it was made. An awesome bike, and welcome aboard.

The shopping is on hold for right now. Funds didn't work out like I had thought they would. I'm still lookin' and dreamin' though. One day....