Help from the Canadian!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son was recently accepted at a University in Newfoundland for his Masters Degree in Music Performance so needless to say, momma and I are feveroushly looking through information about the area. The more I read, the more I like: I have only been to St. John's once or twice and never left the airport, so that hardly counts. I see a road trip in my future.

I guess a few questions that we haven't looked into yet are, will he need power converters or is Candian electic 60 htz, and will his cell phone work or is there a different cell phone system up north?

I travel to Canada frequently and have no problem with the electric over there. The cell phone now is another matter, roaming fees are quite high when data is involved but check with your carrier I'm sure they can provide a plan that works there as well.

No problem with electricity. As for cell, he might want to get a local phone with international plan. I'm not an expert on this but I know the roaming charges can be really high.

I was listenting to a tech radio show last weekend and overheard this guy talking about this but my ears tuned out because I aint going nowhere :mrgreen:
I head of international phone plans that cover roaming and something about them being discontinues either by a country or a cell phone plan. Anyhow you may want to search his site, maybe put the question in the search window and it might tell you something. He`s pretty smart on these things.
https://www.techguylabs.com/

I have ATT North American plan. It covers the southern parts of Canada and all of the lower 48. I get a 15% discount through my work. I have 2gigs data with each extra gig at $10 per month. 450 anytime minutes, 1000 nights and weekends. This is for around $80 a month. I go back and forth all the time. The only thing it doesn't cover is data in Canada and it's steep. In my wife's city there are enough free wifi's to keep me happy. As to your son's plan, if he's like most, he will want data and text. There's the rub. For me it's $0.40 per text in Canada so I just don't have it. He probably will be better off having a phone that can be unlocked and use a different SIM card and plan when in Canada. It is still going to cost about double. They each want heir share.

Every time I try to use the on-line chat with my provider, I get the "all reps are busy now." :head bang: From what I am seeing, a new phone plan is probably going to be required for him.

Latest posts