Help--trade or not to trade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssweet

Reaction score
:help: :help: Hers the deal... I own a great running 1983 Iterstate Goldwing GL 1100, just rolled to 60,000 miles. Cosmetic looks good for such and old bike. Mechanicly No issues at all!

I have a chace to buy a 1988 Aspecade Goldwing GL1200 at a decent price, Has 49,500 miles. Cosmeticly just as good as the 83 but no better. Seller says no mechanical issues. I have rode the bike and it ride very good.

I love the 1983 although I have only owned it for a short period of time. Just looking for opinions on what all you Goldwingers think, I know the Aspencade is a step up but any history of mechanic issues I need to know about vs the Intersate? :help: :help:

I think the only real issues with any 1200 is the fuel injection. I'm not sure if your model has it, not all of the 1200's did.
In working condition it's a great machine but if there is any problem with the fuel injection, repairs are expensive and parts are hard to come by so I'd stay away from it.

Oh, 1200's like to eat stators. It seems 50-70k miles is the life expectancy.

My son-in-law's Dad has a 1200 Limited Edition that I rode and it was real sweet! Compared to my '82, the seat was lower (seat to ground clearance), tires are wider, lots of trunk space and it had cruise control. My aftermarket radio and speakers sounded better, but I would have bought a 1200 in a heartbeat. I have an '83 engine in my '82 which gives me great highway RPM's, but the 1200 was even lower RPM's on the highway. The 1200's had worse stator problems.

All in all, it is matter of preference and which options do you like better? The 1100 is a proven work horse engine that really needs very little to keep going. The 1200 is a tad bit more comfy. :hi:

i think the 1200s are good bikes but are alittle more harder to keep up because of the parts availibility but iwouldnt be afraid of getting one on that ....as far as appencade and interstate ....i would choose the interstate as it is a whole lot easyer to matain and more old school or user friendly as to keeping it going ....i think 83 interstate is a great bike and a bit tougher than 1200 setup ....but all this is all minor stuff and either is good choice .....the four cylinder oldwings are just better than most bikes all around ....every series of wings have there falts paticular to there models and yrs they are ....im glad my 83 is an interstate with manual guages and stuff instead of digital lcd ...but thats me :mrgreen: whats wrong with both thats my choice or vote :mrgreen:

Im kinda partial to the 1100s.
The 1200s have a couple advantages of roomier and more gadgety,but if found after working on a couple 1200s for friends that the 1100s are far simpler.And as mentioned by joe,I think the 11s are tougher and more reliable to.I would not give my 11 up for a 12 for ant reason.But there might be a week moment with a 15. ;)

BTY, 96 was the year they updated to a heavier duty stator for the 1200's. The earlier models used the same stator as the 1000's and 1100's.

:hi: You seem to have only one bike in your stable....How can you know which is better if you don't have others to compare it to???? If the one and only breaks down then what :head bang: :head bang: ....NO RIDE :Awe: :fiddle: ....not acceptable :swoon: ...Must have spare :clapping: :clapping: Only choice is both :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :good: :heat: :eek:k: ..I hope that makes your decision easer :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Bob