HI guys

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert51

Reaction score
I'm Bert, an (un)happy GL1000 owner. Recently my regulator died and I have to pull my engine :head bang: :head bang:
I hope to find here some help...to bear this :crying: :crying:
Thanks in advance
bert

Welcome aboard Bert. It is a bother to replace the stator. Have you checked it to be certain that is the trouble? The connectors to it may be bad. Check the stator first.

I've tried to test the three yellow wires but no ohms, no volts, no ah, nothing...dead
The rectifier is new: I got the one VRRPM3H of oregonmotorcyclespart that is an improvement over the earlier separate voltage regulator and rectifier. The connector is ok, no molten wires
The engine runs regularly: it seems ok but the battery is not being charged
I don't know what else I can test before pull the engine. The stator is not testable, isn't true?

Attachments

• DSCN6363.JPG
    DSCN6363.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 100
nice bike and we will try and help you ....i always forget the easy test on the sator wires one of my best traits is forgeting simple stuff im sure someone will post in on it

Check each yellow wire to the other two and measure ohms with a good zeroed meter. they should read 1.1 ohms each reading. Also measure each ohmed to ground. There should be no reading at all.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Bert!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That is a swweeeeet bike!!! :good:

Bert get your 5 posts in and then go to the tech section for manuals on your modle you will find a whole section on the charging system with trouble shooting charts that will walk you through all checks to isolate the problem :read: :read: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :ahem: By thr way nice looking bike :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Thank you guys, in the meanwhile I tested the stator and I was very happy to see 19-80 volts measured in AC. I tried to test in ohm and it seems to be ok but I'm not sure about the ohm tester. Now I have to think to the rectifier...and maybe the condenser?

Terminology is an issue here. Stator is the alternator or charging source. It seems you have that an it tests okay. Regulator on these bikes is combined with a rectifier which is a group of diodes. We know it here as a reg/rec. This controls the charge to the battery and bike electrics. Which likely is the problem. The condenser is part of the ignition system if you are still running the original points ignition.

Just a little correction, the 1000's have a separate regulator and rectifier. Not sure if this is so on all years 1000's though.

The 1100's all years as well as the 1200's have a combined regulator and rectifier in one unit.
Generally it's referred to as the regulator.

correct. Thanks slabghost. Maybe a reg/rec coming from other Honda models could work...

Yes terminology is very important. Few months ago I got a new regulator for the GL1000 that has both the functions of the regulator and rectifier. Does anyone know or experienced if it works really ok?
Thanks in advance