Hidy from Bama 83 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freaky_1

Reaction score
Hidy,
Frank from Bama here.
I have an addiction called icantgetenoughbikesism and it's forced me to buy another bike.
This is my 4th GoldWing and though it's the newest one I've owned, it's also the oldest. Figure that one out.
I've had 2 GL1000s and miss both of them daily. Sold the last one in 87. I've only had one GL1100 (81) and it was stolen as we were moving from FL to AL back in the early 90s.
So you see, though this one is a newer model, the others were newer when I owned them :whistling:
Couldn't help it, had to do that.

Anyway, this one's an 83 and here she is.

She's not been run this year and I 'think' she sat out last year as well, so carb mining I shall go. Right now the plan is to just change the oil, clean and sync the carbs and get her running. From there another oil change and on to the multitude of splinters that are bound to need pulled.

Do not yet know the bike's ultimate fate, but I must save it. :lol: This isn't exactly the bike I've been looking for, but it could easily become such. Then again, it could remain dressed. We shall see.

Have a good'n all,
Frank

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92892#p92892:124cjo3q said:
en3jonb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:09 pm[/url]":124cjo3q]
lol Frank from Bama isnt that a jimmy buffett character? anyway welcome and nice ride

If it aint, it oughta be! :smilie_happy:

:hi: and :wave: to ya both.

Frank

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92895#p92895:2u68806b said:
Freaky_1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 pm[/url]":2u68806b]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92892#p92892:2u68806b said:
en3jonb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:09 pm[/url]":2u68806b]
lol Frank from Bama isnt that a jimmy buffett character? anyway welcome and nice ride

If it aint, it oughta be! :smilie_happy:

:hi: and :wave: to ya both.
It is been a while since i read it. the book is called where is joe merchant. it has one of the best hook lines i ever read. goes something like :" hi my names frank bama and i fly boats for a living. i roll with the punches and go with the tides."
Frank

Hi Frank, and welcome from Southern California! That's a beauty you have there, but I need to suggest that you check the VIN plate on the steering head. If it's an '83, at least the wheels and valve covers are not original, and possibly the forks and speedometer. Don't want you to have any problems gettin' parts or paperwork! Enjoy the new toy!

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Agree that you should check the VIN number on the steering head. There are a lot of non-83 parts showing!

:wave: Howdy from Indiana! I have family living in that area. A very beautiful place to live. Hope you have her purring soon.

Thanks all,

As expected, it's an 82 GL1100I (though the "I" is obvious). It's tires were new last summer and have nearly 200 miles on them. Didn't know it till I picked up the paperwork today, but it's a one owner bike with full history. Doesn't really mean all that much, but I always like getting full history.

It's a runner. Needs some work but it runs and that's as far as it goes till I get some parts. Timing belts last changed in 92 so I didn't bother to pull the cover and look, they're getting replaced. Thinking of doing the cheap tensioner mod, but dunno yet. Fuel pump leaks and I definitely need to do something with the stator connector. All of this is minor and expected. The center stand is missing, but I don't expect it to be a big deal to find.Compression is in the 150 to 155 range.

What wasn't expected was the need of gorilla tape to make it run. Both left carburetor bodies are broken thanks to a ham fisted mechanic. He had them done at the same place that put the tires on it and their mechanic shouldn't be allowed near a toddler's toy tool set. Need to find a couple carbs, but may well just save up and buy a set and be done with it. I'm even toying with the idea of the twin 40 webers, but that just seems like alot of carb.
All told, it's in better shape than expected, even with the carb issue.

She's destined to lose the "I" in favor of an "S" as far as styling goes and I really want to lose the comstars at some point. May even do some sort of fork swap if I find something that won't look like crud that's a fairly simple swap. Not going cafe with it, but not absolutely stock "standard" either. It's gotta look like it could have "came that way".