High powered headlight blub follow-up.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmover83

Reaction score
A few weeks ago there was a discussion about the use of automotive,or high powered bulbs in motorcycle headlights. The tech Q&A section,pg.93 of the July issue of Rider magazine has a follow-up response to a problem a BMW owner had with his headlight, I think it would be a good idea if everyone would take the time to read this response, preferably before they change over to a high powered or automotive bulb. This is important to owners of factory fared 1100 Aspencades and Interstates, which have a history of frying headlight plugs after prolonged use of high powered bulbs. If you don't subscribe to Rider read it at the news stand while your wife does the shopping :lol:

Well, :shock: thanks for the tip but I cancelled my subscription to RIDER in favor of ROAD RUNNER a year and a half ago.Ill just use the correct bulb and save myself the trouble (of having to read rider) :lazy:

Here's a link to Rider Magazine. I wuz gonna look and see if you could read it on-line, but....I'm on dial-up here at home, so loading the pages is a pain for me. :swoon:
Soooo...if ya wanna look and see if the info is there, help yerself! :mrgreen:

I don't see any problem using automotive bulbs or other bulbs as long as the wattage isn't excessively higher than the stock 50/65 or whatever it is. I would consider 100 watt excessive load but not 70 or 75.

An important thing to remember is if the plug connection is loose or corroded that will cause an increased resistance which will overheat the connection. This could happen even with the stock bulb.

As for the rest of the bike harness, the same applies.
If you want to avoid problems go thru the harness and clean every connection then apply bulb grease to prevent corrosion.

dan filipi":epbhc780 said:
As for the rest of the bike harness, the same applies. If you want to avoid problems go thru the harness and clean every connection then apply bulb grease to prevent corrosion.
This brings up a good issue that I think merits a tutorial. How do you properly clean the electrical connections (particulary on old connections) and the inside of the plugs. Most people do not really play with the electrical stuff and I would like to hear from some experienced people the best way to accomplish this.

I can see from the all the standard responses, that none of you have bothered read the article, therefore, I can't see any reason to continue discussing the subject.

fastmover83":fml6bbrp said:
I can see from the all the standard responses, that none of you have bothered read the article, therefore, I can't see any reason to continue discussing the subject.

If you can get your scanner working or a link to the article that would be helpful, so we can all be on the same topic. I was at the grocery store yesterday and looked for it and they don't carry that magazine.

fastmover83":1uz6qayc said:
I do not have access to the article, the link above takes you to a site where you can buy the magazine. I only listed my post as a note that we often do not clean our electrical connections and many of us do not know how to do it correctly.

I've searched all over their web-site, and apparently, they don't post the mag issues on-line, like most mags do. :nea: I've never even seen Rider Magazine around here.
How about a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version of the article? :read:

AApple":n40o1h55 said:
How about a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version of the article? :read:

+1

We want to discuss it but we need to know WHAT to discuss. :yes:

I don't see what's so complicated about typing out here the highlights of what the article said, it couldn't be THAT long. :laptop:

fastmover83":17g1yk7b said:
OK, since you have given up on the thread, can we have your permission to discuss McGovern61's question about cleaning connections? Geez some people are over sensitive.

There realy wasnt much to discuss.No discription,brief idea,or any ankling of what hes even talking about. :?:

I think hes a salesman for RIDER MAGIZINE :smilie_happy:

On a serios note,the H4 (it is a H4 isnt it) that honda recomends IS an automotive bulb :read:

Andyb":38dvkw1g said:
fastmover83":38dvkw1g said:
OK, since you have given up on the thread, can we have your permission to discuss McGovern61's question about cleaning connections?

I'll start :grin:

The male end is simple enough to clean with a small wire brush.
Harbor Freight sells copper wire brushes about the size of a tooth brush.
The female part is more difficult (isn't that usually the case?) I'm open for suggestions.
Usually I clean the male end of the plug then plug and unplug repeatedly to clean the female end (sorry I'm trying to keep it clean, don't know how else to describe it). Often the mating will be loose so I squeeze the female end closed a touch with a plier. If it's too loose then I change the plug or splice and solder.

dan filipi":ejuu2wgk said:
The female part is more difficult (isn't that usually the case?)
Usually I clean the male end of the plug then plug and unplug repeatedly to clean the female end (sorry I'm trying to keep it clean, don't know how else to describe it). Often the mating will be loose so I squeeze the female end closed a touch with a plier. If it's too loose then I change the plug or splice and solder.

Sounds like some hot action to me :clapping: :clapping: :salute: :smilie_happy:

doh.gif
Oy-Vey !!
doh.gif

Sure wish we had an idea about the tech article/info. I gather it was a response to another tech question/answer in a previous issue. :headscratch:
I agree that corroded connections can create lighting issues....and heat....which can cause smoke to fall out of wires....smoke BAAAD.... :heat: