hooch blew a head gasket

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pic .
image.php

well in the end i got two things ..i thinking of copper coating the gaskets..and then maybe put the perfect bead on block and head surface with the copper rtv sealant ...

pics
image.php

image.php

head gaskets on ...no pics during process...staying to focus for that ...also put in my restriction plate i wanted in where thermostat goes...i like constant flow and i have it metered what i think well make the system work at its peak cooling abilities ..change it a bit but not much..also rip the last remaining piece of the old fan shroud off for even better access to the area there

well brian ..theres been a game changer for sure ...it seems to me i have missed something ....got everything back together and its seems to be doing just like it did before ....i may have a cracked head or something ..not sure yet ..going to take the head off again today ...if you go back to the early pics i posted just as i open things up ...i couldnt really see and obvious blown spot spot in the head gasket ...the pics were taken instantly as i took thing off ...and i also mention the white dots around the valves...so i just dont know ..but it leaking so much it wont stay running ..its like all the work i did changed nothing ...

on the bright side of things ...the copper head gasket on the other side seems fine so for ...so im thinking copper gaskets work ...im not totally sure on that ...will know more later ....it seems to be putting in water big time into cylinder ..but it dosnt seem to be pressurizing the radiator and there doesn't seem to be any water in the oil either ...i havnt been able to run it long though so my conclusions could wrong ...im ok i havnt blown my head gasket yet ..i am quite pissed though i must of had a dozen replacement heads now i have none :builder:

Wow, that is too bad Joe. :head bang: When you look at the copper HG is there an indent all the way around top of cylinder to show it was making good contact.

Almost has to be a crack if water isn't getting past head gasket. Crack must upen up when head is torqued down. Hate to even suggest it but could block be cracked...would have to be a crack through iron liner.

You could shine a strong light on the combustion chamber (CC) area or cylinder edges and go over it with a magnifying glass to try and see cracks.

Hoping the best for you. :beg:
Brian

pics

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

ok im having a hard time seeing where the gasket failed ...even though idrained water out of the cooling system there was some still water in the clylinder jacket that emptied on release of head ..but im rather sure there plenty of sign of water in the the cylinders while it was running along with the water out of the exhaust ..im having hard time seeing that much water coming from the gasket seal to me .....so im thinking there got to be something wrong with the head but i will look further into it as i take gasket off ...

The copper gasket is squished down nice and evenly around the right cylinder. But is a bit ragged on the left one from about 1 o'clock to 4. There is a spot at a little above 3 o'clock that looks odd.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188923#p188923:2ip3spy5 said:
canuckxxxx » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:38 am[/url]":2ip3spy5]
The copper gasket is squished down nice and evenly around the right cylinder. But is a bit ragged on the left one from about 1 o'clock to 4. There is a spot at a little above 3 o'clock that looks odd.

Should have zoomed in...those spots might be water droplets. Is it the left cylinder that is getting wet?

Latest posts