hooch c5 iggy test at meet and greet aug..3-4

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94217#p94217:gnsp5vmn said:
dan filipi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 pm[/url]":gnsp5vmn]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94203#p94203:gnsp5vmn said:
Ansimp » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am[/url]":gnsp5vmn]
Stored energy has an advantage when you don't want to downshift and use torque of the engine to continue your climb. Lightened flywheels may make it easier to spin up the revs but they also make it quicker to drop off. If you want to lighten your wing empty the saddle bags or if you are built like me try and loose a few of those extra pounds or 50.. :yes:
Good explanation.
The inertial weight of the rotor spinning is an advantage in a cruiser, not a drawback.

+1

In local stock car racing, guys used to shave down the flywheel to the point it would barely start (yes, you can go too far) but they said the cars would accelerate like a 2 stroke on the starts. Unfortunately, if you lifted to avoid an altercation you HAD to downshift. The engine lost rpm just as quickly as it gained. Not good for anything except short track use.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94950#p94950:3t6zfmew said:
westgl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm[/url]":3t6zfmew]
Is there going to be any kind of a reduced $$, group buy for this ignition?

How many dozen are you looking to buy? I would certainly consider a discount of the quantity was great enough.
Seriously, how many people on here would purchase one if we tossed something reasonable to reward you guys for being on this forum?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94950#p94950:2t4h5eby said:
westgl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 pm[/url]":2t4h5eby]
That is a very good idea.
I suppose if he were to get enough pre orders then maybe he could.

Paul?

I would be interested, what do you have in mind?

What about something like, 10 ea group buy and we get 45% off, that seems fair, and it may get some people off the fence.

What better advertisement than to have a bunch of guys out there bragging about something that works,

Best advertisement is word of mouth, but it can also be the end of a Bad product.

For each One that you sell to the people on this site they will tell at least 5 friends each, and the reduction that you make now ,has more than paid for it self when those 5ea tell 5 more friends

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94955#p94955:swkrp6h6 said:
C5Performance » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:42 pm[/url]":swkrp6h6]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94950#p94950:swkrp6h6 said:
westgl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 pm[/url]":swkrp6h6]

How many dozen are you looking to buy? I would certainly consider a discount of the quantity was great enough.
Seriously, how many people on here would purchase one if we tossed something reasonable to reward you guys for being on this forum?

I'm definitely interested in the system, but the $500 tag is a little much for me to handle. I realize that the R&D, and machine work on these things ain't free, so you can't give them away. I gotta find some way to justify spending that kinda $$$ for an ignition....even tho I KNOW it works...and works well.
A group discount, might be just the thing to knock a few of us off the fence, and into your yard, but getting a specific number of folks ready to buy at the same time might be a little tough.

"Right turn, Clyde...."
image.php

We seem to have gotten way off the track here....perhaps a different thread would be called for to discuss options on the cost of the C5 ignition system.... :whistling:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95010#p95010:v2cop76w said:
AApple » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 am[/url]":v2cop76w]
"Right turn, Clyde...."
image.php

We seem to have gotten way off the track here....perhaps a different thread would be called for to discuss options on the cost of the C5 ignition system.... :whistling:

Great idea, or better yet head to our website. I have all current systems listed with prices. PM me if you have questions.

:thanks:

Maybe not the right place for this question, but will this c5 eliminate the waste spark? Could it? That would sure improve idle and low end performance.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=95072#p95072:16ih1cnz said:
ekvh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:43 pm[/url]":16ih1cnz]
Maybe not the right place for this question, but will this c5 eliminate the waste spark? Could it? That would sure improve idle and low end performance.

I think that's a great question and i'll give you a great answer.

NO

We have mixed feelings about the carb popping and how it might be related to wasted spark, if at all.
Assuming every new Goldwing did NOT have this problem when it was new (I am told they certainly did not) then we move forward with the question of ...."what changed"?

All Japanese inline 4, and boxer 4 & 6 cylinder engines are wasted spark...please correct me if I spoke in error. So will installing individual coils for each cylinder, and writing a program code to individually fire all those coils at the correct time help? We do not know.

What i have personally experienced, and have communicated to Gary from PowerArc and Dan/Joe from this forum is after our ignition is installed the popping is greatly reduced, or eliminated. My frustration is we don't know for sure WHY.

I've installed about a dozen kits on Wings, and about half no longer pop. The other half might sneak one or two during warm up, but are not the loud pronounced POPS you heard before.

Dan's bike is close to stock (compared to Hooch) so I'm very excited to get his feedback after installing our system on his 1100.

Starting and low rpm use is greatly improved, even without individual coil firing. We start bikes with no choke and they idle nicely between 500-800 rpm. What more can we ask for a 30 year old cycle?

See Paul beat me to it.

No, the ignition is a wasted spark only. If you wish to have a sequential (single fire) version you would completely double the price requiring 4 output circuits and 4 coils.

Wasted spark is not the problem and the we have idled down several GW's to 400 - 450 rpm.

Most engines today are wasted spark 1-8 cylinders, yes 1 cylinder. Your lawn mower is wasted spark if the points are on the crank.

Popping through the carb is a different issue and would be a great topic, wasted spark may play a part. We have seen a reduction in the popping when the ignition is installed along with a quicker engine warmup. If more of the fuel is burned (expanded in the cylinder) there is not enough to ignite when the valves are in over lap and the wasted spark occurs.

Joe and his experience with hooch would be the best to answer if he can idle the engine lower and if it maintains power at a low idle, loaded or unloaded condition and how cold start conditions was effected.

I asked it partly due to the idle, but also for going to forced induction, it is recommended. I doubt I am going to forced induction, but from the bit I've read about it, they prefer switching over. It's way out of my league, but I thought I would ask. Thanks for the response.

Hope Joe doesn't mind me posting this but his fever is up and he just had a small wreck on Hooch on the long hill off his road and his fever is up.
I guess he was crowded off the road when he went into the gravel shoulder with nowhere to go but into the raveen.
From what he told me it sounds like he mostly landed on his left side which messed up his shoulder and back.
I don't have any more details. He told me he'd go get xrays and treatment.
Hope your doing OK Joe.

As for the wasted spark, mine was really spitting and firing back against rotation (as I showed in the video). I sure hope this ignition eliminates it.
This bike has always spit badly.

Condition of the stock ignition will be better known when I get it out but I know already the advance diaphragm leaks.
Both of the used centrifugal advance units are "lazy" returning to the home position.
This stock ignition is just dinosaur technology coupled with the fact that they are flat worn out after 30 years.
Replacement with a used assembly won't be much better if at all.

BTW, I will have 3 complete stock ignitions for sale soon.
At least one of them has a good vacuum diaphragm.