Horn and blinkers out on my 1983 GL1100A....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyworld136

Reaction score
Working on carb sync and adjust after rebuild and lo' and behold I had a blown in half 1st fuse (which I replaced). BUT.... horn and blinkers still dont work.

Checked inside fairing 3 fuses and they are intact. Any ideas?

Time for some electrical troubleshooting.

With a volt meter or test light first check if your getting power at both sides of that fuse.
If yes then follow the wire loom from the left controls down the bars to the main plug and check it's plugged in tight and your getting power there.
You'll need a wiring diagram. Do you have a manual? Wiring is in the back.
If you dont have a manual you can download one from here
viewforum.php?f=27

I have Vetter stuff on mine, but one time when I had the fairing off to do some work on the bike, I later noticed that my headlight didn't work. So I replaced the bulb and it still didn't work. Ready to start testing, when I wiggled the fairing plug the headlight came on and it's been on ever since. So now I have a spare headlight bulb to carry with me. Make sure you have good contact at the plug. As stated before, check both sides of the load.

Well, the problem turned out to be the simplest answer. Ground screw at fuse box was tightened and everything started working again.

I love those kind of fixes. Was too lazy and slow to test all wires, circuit right off. There is something to be said for the past zen art of VW repair that carries over......

Thanks to you guys for input...Maybe these little bits can help the other virgins in Wing troubleshooting. Old Rule: Simplest things first!!!