HORRIBLE NOISE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The horrible clacking noise is GONE!

Finally, everything is back together and the engine's running smooth and quiet once again.

I'm reasonably sure that the problem was nothing more than a dry hydraulic adjuster or two (I found air in a couple of them).

I just wish I had bled the adjusters FIRST, before pulling both heads, disassembling, inspecting and reassembling the whole valve train, looking for bad spring/valves, bent rods, etc., etc.

Al least now I know for sure that nothing evil is lurking deep in the cases. All it cost me was the price of gaskets, valve stem seals and a ton of time. Having done similar work on all three of the 1200s I've owned, I feel like I can now do it blindfolded, like field-stripping a rifle. Yeah, right!

Next task -- do the idle-drop procedure mentioned in this forum and re-synch the carbs.

Thanks for all the brain power you guys added to this project.

Much appreciated!

Paul

Forget the idle drop just get them all adjusted to highest possible rpm and set idle. :good:

Your detuning your motor with the idle drop procedure. :yes: Do as Slabghost said :salute:

So I guess it must have been the air in the hydraulics like Dan suggested.

Or maybe anything else that got replaced during the head job, like exhaust gaskets.

My last come and go noise came from an errant highway peg rattling against a rocker cover.

Nothing much, but it scared the crap out of me a 1000 miles away from home!