How do I replace spring in rear shock

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the circlip, washer, oil seal, and another washer out of the rear shock that came OEM on the 83 gl1100 bike.

How do I get the spring out of the canister to replace with new springs?

New dampers, springs, & boots in stock cans, gives you the benefit of NEW SHOCKS at a serious savings, great upgrade.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Facts; Gambler shows a very detailed way to do this, :read: I used 2" flanges or next size up from what Gambler says, to make tool to disassemble, but everything else is how I did mine. :builder: You will probably have to register, to get full access, maybe make a few posts don't remember, but worth your time as far as i'm concerned. :yes: :thank_you: Used air to blow seals out.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145249#p145249:3t7k4ryl said:
bronko37 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:20 pm[/url]":3t7k4ryl]
Is it really that much cheaper to replace the spring over just replacing the entire shock? Just sayin...

Wow. I woulda never thought it would be that much cheaper. I'll have to look into that.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145249#p145249:asvoqdwg said:
bronko37 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 pm[/url]":asvoqdwg]
Is it really that much cheaper to replace the spring over just replacing the entire shock? Just sayin...
Spring set + 2 seals = aboot $100, + your labor, and a few ounces of oil. Lots cheaper than new air shocks. :yes:

Dampers as well as springs are needed for the equal of new shocks, :good: tried just springs before & found this to be the case. :yes: Your choice to make just my opinion, & they're like rectums, everybody has one & they all stink. :thank_you:

I am accruing parts for this. Unfortunately, I havent found a diagram showing the innards. By dampers, do you mean bumper stops?
image.jpg

"Dampeners" are the actual shocks. The springs hold the weight of the vehicle, the dampeners keep it from flopin up & down uncontrollably.
Bump stops are meant to keep the dampener from completely bottoming out solid on itself. :mrgreen:

Progressive still makes all parts I mentioned to make shocks BETTER than they ever were!!!

I used air to blow mine apart. Just hooked air pump to valve and pumped air until they came apart. I placed them under a towel in a bucket on an angle so that parts and atf wouldn't go every where.

also there are a couple of tech tips in the tech area

gallery/album.php?album_id=1790

I remeber seeing cartridges (dampers) somewhere as i recall they were around 100 for the pair. At that point you would have a fully upgraded pair of shocks but you are also getting close to new progressives when you add your labor value in there.

However i do understand the air lines run a different route and could be a functional issue if not careful....

Ymmv.