How heavy ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mantle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got into an argument with a guy at work last week when I told him I lift the wing engine out unaided. It might take a little longer to remove and replace the heads when shifting the engine out the frame it does however make the job a whole job easier and thus safer.Since I had plans to take it out to repaint it I took the opportunity to photo me carrying it. :heat:
Carried-1.jpg

Engine on home made lift ready to go back in.
out of frame - heads off..JPG

A word of advice for anyone trying this. Take off the heads because with them added the weight might be a bit too much.
Oh - and I won the bet . It cost him a fiver but it was worth it to see his face.That will teach him to doubt me LOL . :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81337#p81337:l4kf9ipr said:
joedrum » Sat May 18, 2013 11:40 am[/url]":l4kf9ipr]wow caveman tech lives in grimsby England ...you daone some nice work to that 83...tough man david :heat: :mrgreen:
Thanks Joe - I pride myself on keeping my strength and fitness up to scratch but not bad for a 60 year old eh . Sorry about the gurning face but wifey took her time taking the photo and the sodding engine was getting rather heavy. She thought it was funny LOL - daft old sausage , just wait I will get my own back hehehe.

skin may be thin but it takes a beating ....im rather thick skinned really david .....drums are the music of choice of most cavemen ...two clubs a something to beat on .....my caveman personality really comes across when laying out the caveman beat :music: :rocks: :mad: :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81362#p81362:1gk2zfnf said:
dan filipi » Sat May 18, 2013 4:50 pm[/url]":1gk2zfnf]Glad your doing it David.
My back would be aching for a week!
Your back aches - how do you think mine feels..... pass me a pain killer will you .

Trust me it is no problem with weight it is all about technique - I used to be a lifter but only at the amateur level. I was however a fairly successful amateur boxer in the Army back in the early 70`s

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81335#p81335:9f4p28ya said:
David Mantle » Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 am[/url]":9f4p28ya]I got into an argument with a guy at work last week when I told him I lift the wing engine out unaided. It might take a little longer to remove and replace the heads when shifting the engine out the frame it does however make the job a whole job easier and thus safer.Since I had plans to take it out to repaint it I took the opportunity to photo me carrying it. :heat:
View attachment 1
Engine on home made lift ready to go back in.

A word of advice for anyone trying this. Take off the heads because with them added the weight might be a bit too much.
Oh - and I won the bet . It cost him a fiver but it was worth it to see his face.That will teach him to doubt me LOL . :clapping:
I have taken my wing engine in & out twice complete with heads & front covers with the help of a 1 ton roller jack.And had to lift it to the back of my dodge van also twice to about waist high(felt like I was about to c__P my pants) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: using the water pipes as handles :heat: :heat:.I have never taken the radiator out even when a water pump replacement was needed.Now watching you on the first picture it seems more like you're carrying a watermelon rather than an engine :rocks:

Thanks - as I said in post #11 it is not a problem with the weight , it is all about technique. You would be surprised how much easier it is without the heads. Their removal allows me to get the core weight more central to my body and once initially lifted to waist height all I have to do is hold on for grim death - the biggest muscle group in my body ( legs and back ) do all the work. It works more me and since I have been working on bikes , engine removals etc, since I was 14 I have found this technique to be the most effective.

My 16 year old daughter pulled two 1100 engines balancing them on a 1 ton car jack and she never complained about the weight! Balance is the key! :hihihi:

Latest posts