Howdy!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtBigdaddy

Reaction score
Hello to all! New member, obviously, and excited to start working on/riding my 82' Interstate GL1100. I had only one motorcycle and that was back in 1992. I rode it for about 8 months or so. That was the first time I had every been on a motorcycle (well, maybe a dirt bike once for like 10 minutes). Anyhow, so fast forward to today and I'm getting back into riding again. Me and the wife have been talking about getting a bike for us to enjoy together for like 5 years. I made the mistake of looking on Craigslist a few weeks ago and was surprised by how clean some of the older bike were! So I picked one up for $1200, which I think was a fair deal all considered.
Here is his right-up:
"1982 Goldwing GL1100
Registered thru 2014. Clean Title in hand.
I have a goldwing interstate that unfortunately i have to part with due to to financial responsibilities.
This motorcycle is very strong running and very reliable. I have done alot of work on this bike in order to get it where it is today. The bike has new spark plugs and wires, the bike has also had the starter overhauled as well as the solenoid and the connecting wires between. The bike needs only one thing, and that is a valve seal replacement. The bike runs strong and starts everytime, however it has a slight amount of white smoke coming from the left tail pipe, this indicates a bad valve seal. I have no choice but to sell this bike before i am in a financial crisis, and unfortunately i did not have time to get to the valve seal before my bills overstacked my time limit. This bike is definately my loss and your gain. My name is Mike and i am flexible on price, tho i know that this bike is worth more than i am asking even in its current condition. This bike was my daily driver until an oil overfill caused the smoke to occur, the bike was not driven after the overfill, and the overfill has been corrected. I will attempt to find time to replace the valve seal this week if at all possible.
I have a responsibility to my family that exceeds my love for this beautiful bike.
$1750.00 or best offer... I must sell this bike by the 5th of the month or i am in a deeper hole than i care to be in, please make an offer, the first fare offer will be accepted. As i do love this motorcycle and i have put countless hours into her, i will not be selling this bike if i cannot findher the right home by the 5th."

That pretty much tells the story. So it smokes even though it didn't when I was looking at it to buy it. But yesterday I ran it and smoke just billowed out so I'm thinking head gasket. I will dig into it more this weekend. More word to follow!

Welcome to our world. Yep sounds more to me like a blown head gasket also. Fortunately that isn't one of the tough jobs.

Welcome from Southern California! Yup, white smoke = steam = coolant = probable head gasket. Not a difficult job - a little messy, and be sure to use quality parts. Replace both sides, and change the timing belts while it's apart.

Yeah the head gasket... replace both.. makes it less labor intensive down the road.. Like a 2nd blown gasket on the other side... also have to remove timing belts any way replace with new.. also pick up exhaust crush gaskets... they go in the heads at the exhaust ports... seals exhaust connection from leaking... Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area...

Thanks guys! I tend to take on too many projects at one time. Got a '53F100 im working on and now the GW...im stoked!!!

The seats look dyed and she needs some love. I have two trim pieces that look like they go underneath the fairing on each side. Here she is:
20131201_130820.jpg
20131202_135114.jpg

Hard to tell from the angle of the pics. But those "trim" pieces are likely the fairing lowers which deflect some air into the radiator. They should be installed for the motor to stay cool on warmer days.

Ok, I will put the pieces on where they go....I think it looks better with them on anyway. The previous owner took them off because he wanted "the Harley look". But then again he was a little strange

Latest posts