I have an idea on the dip stick

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
I have an idea fella's on the dip stick because I'm a lazy SOB is why..see this bike came with a dip stick because the oil sight window was messed up and leaking oil, I seled it off with JB Weld and it has held now for five years...what I am thinking of doing is different because not many fella's would have this..Ok....If you look at the dip stick it's about 5" or so long, it doesn't reach the bend part in that pipe, if I took the dip stick out of the pipe and set it next to the pipe and marked the pipe where the full mark is and take notes of that somewhere on a paper or something and then cut the pipe off an inch below that mark so when you put the hose on you can mark it with a marker ...anyway place a plastic clear hose into the pipe and run it up to the bottom of where the dip stick's landing was and cut the plastic hose off flush at the bottom of that landing, now insert a bolt into the landing hole that fits the hose tightly..All you would have to do is hold the bike upright to check your oil level in the hose.. think it will work...

I generally hold Honda Engineering in high regard but not in this case. The lack of dipsticks on these engines are frustrating - my old CB750 had a dipstick for pete`s sake there is no good reason for designing a motor without a user friendly method of checking the oil level without having to crawl under the da***d thing.

Yes I see someone has mastered this already...Good freakin idea there....My bar will stay for the dip stick..just a simple small tube to the bar is all..Ron I do need a break from this stuff I think, I'm obsessing again..... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Well, I will take a break but first I wanted to post one last photograph of what I visualized for me and my dipstick.. If the oil level is approximently 1" above where I cut it off it's at the correct level as shown in photo while sitting on the centerstand, what I like about it is, you wont need to remove the top bar now to get the dipstick out anymore just unscrew it and bend the hose over out of your way.. now I shall take my break.. :wave: :wave:

The hose has a total of about one inch of oil sitting in the plastic tube, the plastic tube goes down the steel pipe about 1 1/2" tightly, I don't see a issue with it..Not saying it isn't possible eithe :hihihi: r...I have finished my oil sight idea..Here's a photo...Then I shall go.. I'm done with my project now..

scdmarx":ogmbettc said:
I'm curious about how long the hose will last. Also, if it was me, I think I'd put an o-ring on the hose to mark the correct level. Just for quick reference.
I do not know, but I have 19' 6" left of the hose left over for replacement pieces :smilie_happy:

cool beave thats the best ive seen done ...im thinking that realy what i need too and up to my standards great mod :clapping: :clapping: :Egyptian: :mrgreen:

i just hate screwing with that thing everytime i change oil though ...that has absolutly nothing to do with how good a mod it is to that type of dip stick deal

Latest posts