I Picked up a new project-1983 Aspencade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny4jesus

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been away for some time as I was not able to get on the Web site.
I have my 81 Interstate running real good now , still need to work on the clear coat as the clear coat is bad but only on the pin stripe.
I just picked up a 83 Aspencade with 23000 in the meter for 500. The guy I got it from has had it for a year or 2 and said he could not get it running. It is the 2 tone red color and has the same problem with the clear coat chipping on the pin stripe.I got it to turn over so that is a good sign and all of the read out is looking good. Carbs need work and brakes are frozen.
I found an out fit that sell stainless steel brakelines called Venco Wing LLC , just type in venco wing in your search.
I would like feed back about the 83 Aspencade and I would like to get info on finding brake repair parts such as brake piston and seals.
Thanks

Sonny <///><

Sonny, good to hear from ya again! On the brakes, you can get most of the parts you need from Crescent Moon Cycles:

https://www.crescentmooncycles.com/html/gl1100.html

Are you sure you need to replace the pistons? My '82 was sitting outside in the weather for 12 years not being used and then the brake calipers sat in my garage for another 3 years frozen. Last week I soaked them in ATF and the pistons popped right out. Cleaned them up and they are as good as new! (No pitting). If they are pitted, that might be different.

Welcome! Start a build thread and we'll jump in with suggestions and advice. Sitting for long periods is not a good thing for any machine.

the 83 is a completly different bike in how it is compared to the 81 ...they are certainly not twins ....do as the others have suggested and we will help all we can ...i am doing a redo on an 83 right now too ....before i started redoing it my wife fell in love with it as compared to the 82 1100 .....the 83 when right is a hiway eater and even more smooth than eralyer wings from the rpm drop at hyway speed ...sound level too ....good luck to you a me both to getting our 83s top condition :mrgreen:

Master cylinder rebuild kits for the rear brakes are really difficult to find since it was the first year of linked brakes, only available on the Aspencade, and the 1200 rear master is different. The linked rear brakes are also REALLY hard to bleed, I suggest starting with the one in front, getting it good and solid before moving to the rear. I learned this the hard way.

Also, make sure that all the electronics are tip top. The PO of mine bypassed lot of things on mine and I think in the process of getting her running I over-voltaged the LCD display and it hasn't worked since the first time I started her up. I've since swapped over to analog gauges which was no easy feat!

Good luck on your project, keep us informed so I can learn from your mistakes and vice-versa.

BIGmackie":3drk3vny said:
Master cylinder rebuild kits for the rear brakes are really difficult to find since it was the first year of linked brakes, only available on the Aspencade, and the 1200 rear master is different. The linked rear brakes are also REALLY hard to bleed, I suggest starting with the one in front, getting it good and solid before moving to the rear. I learned this the hard way.

Good luck on your project, keep us informed so I can learn from your mistakes and vice-versa.
Hey, wait a minute..... :ahem: :?: My 83 Interstate has linked brakes.

Got any helpful tricks to share on the bleeding process? :builder:

scdmarx":25b5uct4 said:
Hey, wait a minute..... :ahem: :?: My 83 Interstate has linked brakes.

Got any helpful tricks to share on the bleeding process? :builder:

I was unaware that the '83 interstates had the linked brakes. Perhaps it is the entire '83 lineup which had the linked brakes... I do know that I have not had an easy time getting a rear master cylinder rebuild kit from anywhere except cyclemoon.

As for bleeding, I really do recomend bleeding the fronts first, then moving to the back. Using a vacuum pump on the bleeder helps a lot too. The first time I did them I used a piece of drip irrigation hose and my mouth to literally suck the air out of the caliper. You can actually get a really good feel for how it's coming along this way; just gotta watch out for the brake fluid in your mouth. I'm sure that stuff is know to cause cancer in the state of California!