I think I found my gremlin

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrscamhlspouse

Reaction score
My wing died the other night while riding. When it does this all the electronics reset, ergo the digital clock goes to 12:eek:o , the radio resets to random stations and so on. This lead me to believe that it was at the master fuse link.I checked it and found the master fuse o.k but the four wire connector there had been hot for some reason and had melted . Probably causing the spade terminals to short across. What is the round apparatus that is there at that link and what would cause this 4 wire plug to overheat? anyone else ever experience this problem? The Hot and ground from the battery are connected there as well.

Omega man, I've already done the three wire conversion, this connector is on the other side of the battery,( to the right side,) facing the battery.There is a round relay or something of that nature there. It is where the main, Wishbone shaped fuse is located. I think the problem is that I have too many lights and such pulling off of my electrical system, especially since this midwest weather is so hot and my fan running and such. I think the two 55 watt running lights on the front are too much, all the rest I added are LED .

jrscamhlspouse":3ik8peux said:
Omega man, I've already done the three wire conversion, this connector is on the other side of the battery,( to the right side,) facing the battery.There is a round relay or something of that nature there. It is where the main, Wishbone shaped fuse is located. I think the problem is that I have too many lights and such pulling off of my electrical system, especially since this midwest weather is so hot and my fan running and such. I think the two 55 watt running lights on the front are too much, all the rest I added are LED .
Nice, my girl's PO replaced the dogbone with a blade fuse...one of the only good things he did. :roll:

~O~

Took all the connections on the starter relay off tonight, cleaned them, even on the relay itself. Then I proceeded to cut the wires off of the semi-melted plug end. The male side was good so I saved that. I installed new crimp on insulated female ends, (one at a time of course) and noted their location, color. etc. I cleaned the pos. and neg. sides as well and re-installed all. She fired up with no apparent heating on the wires.... Gremlin cured, I am sure. Will install a new blade type inline fuse tomorrow.

For sure do the fuse upgrade. It's quick and easy, and definitely is peace o mind! My '81 was doing pretty much the same thing you originally described, and I found the dog-bone fuse looked good, but really wasn't, so every now and then, the whole bike would just shut down for no apparent reason. I bought an in-line fuse holder at Pep Gurls, and it took me about 20 minutes to re-do the master fuse set-up.....I ain't had a bit of trouble from it since. :good:

AAple ....Thanks for the post. I finished the fuse upgrade tonight, 15 min. job and feel a lot better about it. I was wondering, would it really matter in what position those four wires were in ? Especially since that seems to be just a power point anyway.

jrscamhlspouse":17n8nas4 said:
would it really matter in what position those four wires were in ?

Which 4 wires are you talking about again?

As long as you matched wire to wire with your new connections and everything works then your golden.