I'm leaking oil like a BP deep sea disaster...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rode two days ago in the morning- the weather's finally broke here and the mornings are nice and cool- rode about 30 miles before work on the 2 lanes-

Rode into town today- about 10 miles- had the bike up to 75 on I-40 for about 5 miles- bike ran good but whenI stopped my right foot slipped when I stopped at the light. I thought ' I stepped in somebody's puddle of oil) and went on about my business- Turned out the Goodyear shop I was going to was closed so I rode home the back way- about 20 miles. I thought I smelled oil burning but thought it was just normal from running the bike on the interstate for the first time in a long time and burning off some crud-

Got home, pulled into the garage, stopped, put my right foot down- and it slipped right out from under me- almost went over. Looked down and my right boot was completely soaked with oil and oil was dripping down off the bike on the right side by the brake pedal. There was oil all over the right side of the bike- even sprayed up on the side of the seat, all over the wheel and tire, muffler, side cover...

Bummer. Went inside and took off my boots (by the door so my better half wouldn't jump my rear) and even my right sock was soaked in oil-

I didn't have time to mess with it right then because I'd promised my friend I'd come work on his Vespa- yes, a Vespa, and I was late. Got there, spent an hour figuring out the replacement oil/ gas tank/ petcock/ oil level indicator he'd just paid $200 for was broken, and another two hours aligning everything so that when he got the replacement for the broken part, we could screw it on and stick the whole thing in and hopefully it would work- Did I mention I hate everything Italian including pizza, spagetti, Sophia Loren, Italian dressing, and Vespa scooters? I take it all back except for the Vespas- Sophia is still hot and she's like 80-

So I went home, wiped all the oil off the bike, fired it up and looked for the gusher- Nothing! Nada! No leaks at all- there was oil seeping out of the right muffler not out of the exhaust but out of the chrome around it. Ran the bike for ten minutes, got it up to operating temp, rev'd it, could not get one drop of oil to leak.

Is this a jinx bike? Combined with my #1 problem I'm starting to wonder- Is it time for an exorcism?

My bet is the leak is from the valve cover.
Those seals get rock hard from heat and age.

The bike is NOT jinxed!

Wipe the oil off real good and with it running on the center stand run the rpm's up around 3k and hold it there while watching for oil to appear.

I hope you put some oil back in her first. It's got to be the valve cover gasket, it's amazing how much a failed VC-gasket can leak. Oil can leak from where the fuel pump assembly bolts to the right head too, but that is more of a drip.

~O~

I think I'm just going to push her over the edge of the bluff like my wife said when I first bought her and then I can spend my money on fixing my wife's teeth, a tummy tuck, and then I'll just jump off after it and die. That way I'll be a lot happier.

kirkwilson":2q6al8qs said:
I think I'm just going to push her over the edge of the bluff like my wife said when I first bought her and then I can spend my money on fixing my wife's teeth, a tummy tuck, and then I'll just jump off after it and die. That way I'll be a lot happier.

Dude, it ain't noth'n a couple beers can't handle. :beer: :beer:

Dude Ur right- on- I had a couple of beers and now everything's OK- I ran my wife off the bluff so all I have to worry about is my bike leaking oil- That old song id right- Don't worry- Be Happy- Everything's going to be all right...

it could be the tack cable but you might want to check the oil it might be over full and the leak coiuld be coming from the crankcase breather .....they willdo that at high speed when the crankcase is over full especialy when its over full from gas filling up the crankcase my bike did that when the carbs were bad ....i hate to say that when i know all the work you have done on them.....

i would dump the oil you got in there and replace .....then make sure you turn the gas off every time you stop .... what i like to do when i think about it is turn my gas off before i get home and dam near empty them by the time i park ..this may help get things right

but it sure sounds like it high speed blow out to me ......after you change the oil ride it normal and lower inthe rpm zone and see if it leaks .....it probably wont .....and it may have been just overfilled with oil and no carb problem ..... hang in there kirk this sat for a long time right its going to take some time for it to right itself no big deal here i dont think.....

My tach drive only leaked after the engine was nice and hot and the oil was thinned. My right boot and right side of the exhaust would get just enough oil to real sloppy! After I fixed that, a new right side leaked developed and it turned that the exhaust stud was overtightened and it had punched up into the head causing a leak like you described. No leak when first started or running, only after it was hot.

I can't do anything right-

I rode her (my bike not my wife) off the bluff this morning- as we were going down I pushed off so I could see my nightmare smash to pieces before I hit and die happy. But the ******* thing hit both tires down and bounced up right in front of me right before I hit the little pine tree- It bent over almost to the ground then rebounded throwing me back up just in time to see the bike hit the second time- it flipped and the center stand came up and believe it or not that bike came down again right on the front wheel and the center stand an instant before I landed right on her seat and since she was in gear when I hit I pushed her forward and she fired right up and I grabbed the handlebar grips- every was kind of rushing past me at that point and I was all over the road wobbling and next thing I knew I was coming down the road toward my house.......

I give up- I guess I'm just going to have to fix this fricking thing again...

:builder: :beer: :Awe: :swoon: :eek: :shock: :( :rant: :whip: :rtfm: :Doh2: :salute: :head bang: :sensored: :headscratch: :read: :crying:

All of the above....
I tell ya one thing there Kirk....you got one heck of an imagination, and great writing skills! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Thanks, Bob- That's right where it's leaking-

I put 75 miles on her today- interstate, US hwy, local roads- stopped every 5 miles or so to check for leakage- nada... Did seem like the dipstick was down just a little but I rode 3x farther today-

I'll check that oil pump-