Installing running lights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it the extra load will not actually hurt the charging system/stator but since the stator is such a poor design with it's lack of low rpm output, the additional load will reduce power to the other systems that need it most, mostly battery charging will be sacrificed.

If you run at higher rpm's (over 3000 rpm) then you should be ok, it's when you get stuck at long lights around town or in traffic is when you'll have problems.
Putting a battery through this will reduce it's life considerably.

Now you could put a switch on these lights and turn them off during slow speeds.
Another option is use 35 watt bulbs.
You'll still be short on power but not as bad.

I have the same setup on my 86 Aspy. Will the same happen here and could this have caused my gremlin meltdown in my other posts? I also have some added red and amber leds on too. All are switched though. and not on at all in daylight.

jrscamhlspouse":22uu8o2d said:
I have the same setup on my 86 Aspy. Will the same happen here and could this have caused my gremlin meltdown in my other posts? I also have some added red and amber leds on too. All are switched though. and not on at all in daylight.

It's doubtful the extra load caused the problem since the way the charging system works is it outputs full current all the time no matter what the load is.
More likely your meltdown was corroded connections which resulted in a high resistance which produces heat.