Instrument Cluster Removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do my steering stem bearings but I don't see an easy way to remove the instrument cluster on my 83 Interstate. Is there a way to remove the whole pod as an assembly?

Thanks
Jorg

Jorg,
Hi Bro.
I dont think so... if memory servs me correctly you have to kinda pair done the gauges to get to the inner most mounting bolts.
I could be wrong on this but dont think you can take them off in 1 big piece.

Yep there is at least for the 80 to 82's I's..there are two bolts that hold the hold thing in place..hard to see or reach but I did it with the fairing on..remove cables, then feel around under the cluster one nut/bolts on each side 12mm I think if not 12 it's a 10mm nut. Once off, the whole pod is loose except for the wiring..disconnect and it lifts off..

There were some pics on eBay of the bracket that holds the assembly..so you can get an idea of where the bolts are..or try a parts site and look at the fishe diagram.

RBG":jntgdp7d said:
Yep there is at least for the 80 to 82's I's..there are two bolts that hold the hold thing in place..hard to see or reach but I did it with the fairing on..remove cables, then feel around under the cluster one nut/bolts on each side 12mm I think if not 12 it's a 10mm nut. Once off, the whole pod is loose except for the wiring..disconnect and it lifts off..

There were some pics on eBay of the bracket that holds the assembly..so you can get an idea of where the bolts are..or try a parts site and look at the fishe diagram.

That's what I want to hear.
Is it item 4 (instrument stay) that I'm trying to remove? I'm totaly blind working in there.

Jorg

Attachments

• Cluster.jpg
    Cluster.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 126
Yep that's it..just two bolts..with nuts..a bitch to get at but do-able.

It worked. I got the pod off as one assembly. Getting the electrical disconnected is a bit of a pain but i would suggest doing it this way, even if just to change the bulbs in the guages.

By the way. Both the owners manual and service manual list the instrument bulbs as No.57-2cp and in my 83 Interstate they are not. They are T10 style wedge bulbs so the LED's I bought won't fit. Now I get to pull the cluster again once the new bulbs come in.

This is one densely packed hard to access area of the bike. I've done steering stem bearings on naked bikes before and it was much easier.

Has anyone made a socket for the stem nut? I have access to cutting tools and mig and would like to torque the bearings to spec.

Jorg

Latest posts