Interstate, Aspencade or LTD/SEi Pro's and Con's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rear cover (alternator cover) on my FI 1200 engine is almost 1/2" deeper than Dan's '84, so I assume the stator and rotor are deeper to make the extra wattage.

The parts manuals show different rear covers for the fuel injected models, so the stators/rotors will not interchange without replacing the rear cover as well.

That's interesting. Does the bolt pattern for the rear covers seem to line up ? I wonder if the shaft is longer on the Sei than the regular 1200 and if there are other differences.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123282#p123282:1xkxkflh said:
Steve83 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:49 pm[/url]":1xkxkflh]
If you're considering going the single carb route, I'd stay away from the FI models. They use a high-pressure fuel system with a return line, the computer controls the injector timing, ignition system, and has an input to the trip computer. There are 3 angle sensors, 2 on the right cam and 1 on the crank. Carbureted systems use 2 crank sensors for ignition control. Much less to mess with on a carb system.
I'm not considering doing anything in-particular, simply projecting down the road. Right now, I'm just trying to gather enough information, to allow me to make the right decision on the bike I want the first time. So, we are back to the '87 AorI. Other than the air pump, radio and cb. What does the aspencade have that the Interstate doesn't? I noticed the Aspy is about 50lbs heavier than the 1200I, so there has to be something else. I can certainly live without an onboard air pump but a radio is very important. I assume most Interstate's will ahve had one installed by now.

Radio or not and cb or not. Is going to be individual per history. My interstate has factory radio but no cb.
There are aftermarket radios and c 's that could have been or could still be installed.

I guess easiest course is what you see is what you get matrices with what you really want. I actually like the idea of a newer aftermarket system as opposed to 30 yr old tech. Your choice.

Alright, guys I think I've got a handle on it now. thanks for all your help. I'll let you know what I find.

MCVinnie, since I'm new here too I'll chime in. I have an 87 Interstate AND an 86 SEi that I am rebuilding. Parts are available used for both bikes, some new wear and tear items are available from mother Honda. The Interstate is a much simpler bike. Digital nothing except the clock and the radio. The radio's are dated, any interfacing with helmets, intercoms are going to be aftermarket. The bikes, just being their age are going to need love and alot of maintenance. Fork seals and bushings, shock seals and bushings, timing belts, etc. All these things are doable and folks here and on other sites are glad to help. All the GL1200's are great bikes, the 87's have a few things upgraded but no one has really come forward and said they are any better than the 85 and up. The 84's only real drawback that I know is the pulse sensors are in the rear and require the motor to be pulled to fix (and they DO die eventually). The alternator - stators and regulator system on these bikes are the one real week point. They go bad due to heat, grounding, and load. All the 1200's do eventually and the motor has to be pulled out to do that. The carbs are really reliable IF the bike is ridden and the fuel system is maintained. Parts to rebuild them are available and there are a few experts that can render a set dang near to out of the crate condition. The brake lines on a 27-30 year old bike might need replacing, some folks are making these in stainless.
So, in closing, if you want a GL1200, find one in really nice shape, and it rides wonderfully then get it!