joedrums single carb setup with the weber 32 DFT

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay did some cross country weber carb tuning some with dan yesterday...we were discussing weber best setup with all the capabilities of adjustment and its seems clear to me that adding as much air to the carbs air bleed jet as possible and increasing gas jet to its maaxium size ... the bennies are big jets stay clearer and the more air before barrel entry is better atomization ...I would think ...so after talking dan changed the air jet and main gas jet in the primary barrel and we tested .... we started at 175 air and 115 gas jet ....went first to 200 airjet---125 gas....seemed lean after dans test ride ... up the gas jet to 130 .....this test ride went good ....dan said throttle got snappier actually started doing the hooch thing of yanking the bars loose from your hands if not careful ....so we up the gas jet again this time the change was slight so we stop there as this seemed like the sweet spot ..... so now on dans 1100 with early 75-77 cans in it ... is jetted at 200 air jet and 135 gas jet in primary ... I think his idle is 50 ... and according to dan idle wasn't effected much at all during boosting of the main jets in the primary barrel......I think we effectively made the weber atomize better ... so learning the weber DFT is still moving along nicely

Looks like a while since anyone has reported on the carb conversion. I was wondering how it was going and particularly, where Joe got his jets from. I have an old 32DFT sitting around but it's missing an emulsion tube and jet.

ok ... ive been reading some ....as always i go and look for info ...and find most of it right here ....chapter 10 in the weber deals with the dft 32 carb and the american version also .....it not to appliable to us as most of the tuning is done with all the stuff i have taken off this carb ....but interest facts came to my attention....power valves are appropriately matched with fix choke on carb....and really not adjustable ...but it can be by changing spring pressure that works against the diaphragm.... not to say it aint fine for what were doing as is ... but it seems to me we are all fighting a rich condition at idle ...but some are battling bogging off idle and this may help ...personally i have no issue here and off idle response is the best i ever had on any bike i have been on ....i have also figure out that primary idle circuit and the secondary transition circuit has fixed air air to each and changing air bleeds in the mains dose not effect there air to the changeable gas idle jets

it is also been said the the secondary comes in at 45% throttle opening ... this is not true ....secondary on the dft carbs come in at 2/3 throttle opening on primary barrel ..... after my great ride yesterday ...it is quite evident this is true ... as the power hooch was showing was huge and most the riding was on primary ... the secondary just covers all out assault from rider really laying into it ....my bike needs some work here some ... my jetting is up there but its still not enough for hooches demands for fuel charge as good as primary ....

so i have to digest some of this info but its getting down to nitty gritty ... :headscratch: i am working up a path to try and fix idle some as i think it is to rich here ..but this problem is not big to me ... but the move seems to be a custom one i think to the carb

Ok well a slight off idle bog in skiri's bike I was able to completely eliminate by going up .5 in the primary gas jet.
This didn't seem to hurt his mpg or idle, rather it smoothed throttle to seamless transitions.

ok ...been test riding hooch ...though it is running great ...it was still burning lots of gas ....when i checked plugs after a run on hiway ...the pulgs were good looking around the spark ... but was black around out side and idle was erratic ...getting to my house is a lot loww rpm roads ... i could tell by the way the plugs looked is was rich on the low rpm home run ....

so the last mod i did to this carb was to block 2 of the 6 idle circuit feeds ....this actually made the rpm go up at same setting and with hole in throttle plate ....and i was having trouble controlling the idle ....as it was i had mix screw turn all the way off or in seated...also had no idle speed on linkage either .. and it was idling at about 15-1800 rpm sometimes more ...just way to much ...

so to try and get control of idle again ...i decided to plug the throttle plate hole ....so off came the carb ... and i plug it .....after carb was back on i instantly got control of idle ....i could get it to idle off mix screw only but it seemed to load up after a bit ..and take a few twists to clear it so i knew it was rich still ...i could use mix screw and idle speed control together and it would idle and load also ...so as before with hole in plate ...i turn mix screw in all the way ....

this made three of the 6 idle circuit holes plug ... so idle could only be control from idle speed control ...i got good idle even down below 1000 rpm ... but it seem to be not coming off idle very good when revved ....hmmmm like it was loading up even through at idle it didnt seem so ....so i decided to make one more move and lowered the primary gas jet ....

WOW this did it ....for the first time i can get idle below 1000 and it will run for long time never load up ..and revv good instantly off idle ...i think it ready for prime time ... im really hoping this is the mpg buster ...it seems to idle like a stock rack now and run like a weber from there ......

my point is ... im anouncing right now that my carb has no hole in the throttle plate now .....and the blocking of idle feeds seems to be the thing to do for my motor ....not saying it for all oldwings ....

im really hoping for 40mpg now maybe ... i will have to check the jetting size as most of my jets have been drill ....so not sure what it is yet ....seems passed here everything is perfect......

yesterday roll on throttle only would break loose the rear tire in first gear ...and second will spin tire on hard gear change ..and swiggle smoothly ....

the reality is just as i thought hooch is all over the 1100 final drive ...it is certainly the fastest gearing of all the set ups i have done .... :builder: :thanks:

Latest posts