Looking for dual intensity LED lights.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
I am wanting to add a light bar around the saddle bags like many of the dressers have, but I want to have it function as a turn signal as well. Now, here is my problem. I can find the little square lights like were originally put on these rails, I can even find LED replacement bulbs for them. What I can't find are dual intensity LED lights to replace them with. Can anyone point me in the direction of some.

Oh, I plan on making them sequential like on the old Mercury Cougars. Just to be different.

Here's a video of the Cougar lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdPD8KLPmPc

This is the style of light I am looking to replace. I want the LED's as close to this as I can get.

petersonlight.jpg

I'm doing the same thing, with the same lights. I haven't found any dual "filament"/intensity style LEDS that will fit in the sockets for these small lamps....

I'm having to make my own rails, as all I have are the clamps that mount them to the luggage stay. The main reason I want that style is because of the lines of the bike. I have thought about using single intensity round ones and stagger them, but I don't know how that would look.

I dont know if dual intensity LED's even exist yet but I remember reading how to make a single LED dual element in a sense by installing a resistor. I'll see if I can find the info.

My thoughts weren't for a dual intensity LED bulb. Apparently I didn't think it through before posting. I am looking for a dual intensity light made with LED's. I know they are made because they are on tractor trailers everywhere.

I was going to suggest Peterson.

Might want to give them a call. I talked to them a few months ago and was told they're coming out with new products all the time and to call if you dont see what your looking for.

Maybe this will help :?: :?: :?:
Running-Brake Converter.jpg

All it takes to make the running/brake converter is four wires of a different color, a Rectifier Diode, and a Resistor. Wires can be small because the current load is very low with LEDs.

The running light current goes through the resistor reducing some of the brightness of the light. The diode blocks the running light current from going back to the brake circuits. When you brake, the brake current goes through the diode giving you the full brightness of the light. There is no added current draw on the bike electrical system.

I am not sure of what parts they have in them but converters sell for $7.00 to $10.00 at motorcycle online shops and one can be made for less than a buck with parts bought at Radio Shack. 2 diodes per package, $0.99; 5 resistors per package, $0.99.

I may take a couple of bucks and try that. I'm not real electrically inclined so I'll have to ask the guys at the store where to find what I need. It sounds greek to me, but as far as I'm concerned there is only one way to learn, and that is to just do it.

The lights like you show in the original post you can get at Pep-Girls for $3.00. It would cost that much to ship free ones! :mrgreen:
I bought two of them just the other day to add to mine... :grin:

And Thanks, Keith, for posting the diagram....I can do that! :read:

AApple":1if4pcij said:
The lights like you show in the original post you can get at Pep-Girls for $3.00. It would cost that much to ship free ones! :mrgreen:
I bought two of them just the other day to add to mine... :grin:

And Thanks, Keith, for posting the diagram....I can do that! :read:

Pepgirls LMAO.

Those arent LED are they?

No...these are incandescent...I think a "push-in" 194 bulb? I'm gonna "build" some LEDs to put in them. :builder:

Joep":1550hmw3 said:
194 and 168 are similar bulbs and interchangable.. they do sell the led replacements for these..

I havent tried these for quite awhile, have they gotten brighter since they first came out?

Check out your local "pep-boys" auto parts store. I converted both my single and double intensity bulbs (1156 & 1157) to LED's. They also have other size bubs in LED as well. I've yet to find anyone else who ahd the supply of these bulbs to match them. If they don't have the exactone you need, they also have what you need to change the plug type.