low compression ideas/help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks to all for advice. I put about 100 miles on bike with atf added.
Just as predicted a lot of smoke on start up but when engine warmed up no noticeable smoking. cool.
will keep on with this program for a few tanks of fuel and then do another compression test. I'll update when that happens.
dave

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126290#p126290:2zf76o6k said:
who444444 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 am[/url]":2zf76o6k]
thanks to all for advice. I put about 100 miles on bike with atf added.
Just as predicted a lot of smoke on start up but when engine warmed up no noticeable smoking. cool.
will keep on with this program for a few tanks of fuel and then do another compression test. I'll update when that happens.
dave

:good:

Best run would be a long highway run at least a tank of fuel out and a tank back.Or a few weeks of riding it nearly every day throughout the rpm range.

I'll probably have to go with the ride everyday option.
My back and rearend gets to bugging me pretty good after 60 or 70 miles ( I know so does everyone's )
and I get really bored on the freeway. Have to see which way I go. Thanks for the encouragement.
I never thought I'd be complaining about having to go riding all the time. :smilie_happy:
dave

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126325#p126325:25wzdyme said:
who444444 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:20 pm[/url]":25wzdyme]
I never thought I'd be complaining about having to go riding all the time. :smilie_happy:
dave

Poor, poor you! :yahoo:

Do a leak down test on it. You can get in inexpensive kit at Harbor freight. Also try adding a half a quart of Sea Foam to your oil. Run the bike for a bout forty of fifty miles and change your oil and filter. I had to do that with my original engine, it cleaned the rings and engine right up. Also took care of some clutch slipping that I originally had.

I'm a little too cautious to use seafoam or kerosene in the oil. I know others have done it successfully. I prefer to use 1/2 a quart of atf in the oil. It's not quite as aggressive at cleaning there but it doesn't decrease the lubricating effects of the oil either. I've had about 8oz of atf in my oil in my 84 standard for the last 800 miles. As an oil additive I prefer to add it every other oil change and leave it.

I know it's too early to tell only 200+ miles running with atf but I did another compression test
and ............ one of the cylinders went up 10 lbs. and the other 3 cylinder showed 5 lb. increase each. That's a good indication in my mind
that this will help.
Also, I've filled up twice and using my math skill i am seeing about 40 mpg which is better than I was getting before adding atf.
Go figure, i thought it might go down while running atf in fuel.
dave

Remember that you put less fuel in the tank if you have added ATF first. Many do report better mileage while using ATF. The most accurate way is to always use the same amount of ATF before you fill then your mileage figures will be correct using the total amount of gas + the ATF for your mileage.

I fill up till pump shuts off and don't keep trying to top off more, so some variation involved in each fill up.
I then see how many mile on trip odometer and do the math. Over all I get a pretty accurate average that way
however I add atf after fuel as I dont know how much fuel it is going to take to fill up bike. I dont run it down to reserve or even that close.
Then I add the percentage of atf to fuel I want.
dave

well it seems hooch really likes the atf in the fuel big time .... im not getting any smoking at all it seems ....i think the c5 goes a long ways here burning up the atf clean ..... the stock ignition probably smoke a bit more ....maybe ... but there no doubt to its benefit ... to bad cant figure a way to have seperate tank and the fuel and atf mixes on the fly like some of the last 2 strokes had ...that be nice :mrgreen:

I have gotten into the habit of shutting the bike off, take my helmet off, then tip the bike to the right, like it would be on the side stand if you had one on that side. I do it as much as I can without it being a strain. With hot oil, it must quickly all drain out of the left cylinders. Then I put it on the side stand. When I do this, I get no smoke at start up.

Your compression does not sound even close to low enough to cause that amount of oil consumption. To reseat the rings make sure you ride it like you stole it. Really ride it hard to get it good and hot. I had some similar issues and they are now sorted. Also, could be head gaskets. I just had that problem. Bad gaskets will lose your oil and cause low compression readings. If you were burning a quart every 500 miles you would have smoke constantly, not just at start up which is normal for these engines.