make a seat fit

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
Greetings from streamy Boston. This is my last stop in search of an answer. I have a naked 83 GL1100. I've seen shots of older wings like mine with valkyrie solo seats mounted on them. Do any of you knowoff hand ,what kind of mods I need to make to the seat to make it work ? Or am I gonna have to tell you what I did after my new seat comes in next week. It's actually cheap. Only $123.00 ordered from the honda dealer. Thanx for your help, or I'll let you know what it takes.

Ohhhhh...its easy...all ya have to do is.....welll...I mean......OK, we're gonna hafta watch you do it! :wave:

Welcome from New Jersey! :clapping:

All these sugestions and pointers! I'm overwelmed! Where should I start? Always remember, light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright till you hear them speak.

Take lots of pictures, and make sure you have someone to be the third hand just in case. Worse case scenario they take the pics, you mount the seat.

I love the idea of a solo seat and think I asked about that on here once upon a time....What I want to know though, is how comfortable it is...I have never kept a stock seat on a bike because I find that they suck.... between my wife and myself, we have owned something like 7 different Corbin seats. I am a huge fan of Corbin although since I retired I am not able to afford them any more...if I had the money I would have one on my current wing....

Brian

I've no idea how the Valk seat mounts but the 83 mounts through bolts on the side of the frame a bit back. Seems to me you may have to fabricate brackets of some kind. I too will be interested in how you solve the issues.

We need to get some of the bobber guys posting in this thread. There is a bobber in the members rides in the banner, PM him and see if you get a response.

~O~

edit - PM BigDub and Hoosier Daddy they both run bobbers.

As it turns out, mounting the valk seat was quite easy. My new seat came in last tuesday around 3:00 ish. I had it test fitted and temp bungied down in a couple hours, with a road test by 6:00. All you need to make up is a tab to slide into the shelter like the original seat. Then a strap to hold it in place. On the bottom of the valk seat is the striker loop that would normally gointo the latch on a valk. I cut a corian cutting board from bed ,bath & beyond to make a tongue to fit the shelter slot.Cut out a slot to fit over the striker loop, then drove a little wedge between the loop and the new tongue to secure it. You can also predrill a couple of holes and add one or two screws for adde piece of mind. Next I used 1 1/2" X1/8" aluminum flat stock to make my hold down strap. Thereare two slots conveniently located in the seat pan to use as a place to anchore the strap. I did it in three pieces. One section to go from side to side through the slots between the foam and the pan. You'll have to bend it a little to fit without distorting the pan. Next two side straps. Because of the seats placement, I went to the rear shockmounts. After a little bending and shaping to fit, I just attached the straps together with nyloc nuts and machine screws. All stainless. To cut out the tongue from the cutting board I used a dremel with a straight cutting bit. The seat cost me $123.00. the rest of the stuff another $20.00. Now my 83 looks like a police glide or road king. The seat is also firmer and wider with no pressure points. All that, and I've got a brand new seat for under $200.00. Can't beat it! Contact me and I'll email you pictures. Ihaven't figured out picture posting on these forums. Too much involved.