Making the crude 1100 CV carbs to work better ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBAJIM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my 740 single carb ( 24mm & 25 mm throttle bores ) today, but had an idea on how to make the CV carbs work better.

We have a local auto "Speed Shop" in our little town that graphite coats piston skirts. At least I think it's some kind of graphite coating ...... It's sprayed on after a special cleaning procedure and then cured by baking. I'm thinking of first having my CV carb slides coated before I construct a manifold for the single carb. But if I have that done, I'll have to slightly enlarge the bores of the slide covers. I'll need to mike the CV slides before & after to see how thick the coating is.

What do you guys thinks about this idea ( be nice ! ). Anyone ever do this before ??

If there's enough wear in them to warrant this a single coating on either the slides or the caps might make them fit as they did new. You already have the single carb that admittedly needs a good bit of tweeking to get "right" but then so will the cv carbs and that's x4 on everything. Are you sure you want to go through the expense and time.If so I'm interested in reading about it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139274#p139274:1smzrhlt said:
Omega Man » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:56 pm[/url]":1smzrhlt]
Sounds ambitious. Is there an acceptable cost to benefit here?~O~

Paul at the speed shop has done some work for me in the past and his costs have been very reasonable. This will be a small "side job" for him, no rush either. I don't think it will be too expensive - he will work it in on his next piston job, probably. I'm really curious to see what difference it could make.

this is just my opinion .... CV carbs suck ...never one good thing about them to me ... full of rubber hose ..all kinds of to lean devices on them....no parts ... passages to small ...cuts motor power way down especially at low rpm where a dresser needs it ....levitating carbs slides are a joke to me now .....seems you have 10 time the induction system right in your sight ... ok i guess im done :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139290#p139290:kfjwdv1w said:
joedrum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:45 pm[/url]":kfjwdv1w]
this is just my opinion .... CV carbs suck ...never one good thing about them to me ... full of rubber hose ..all kinds of to lean devices on them....no parts ... passages to small ...cuts motor power way down especially at low rpm where a dresser needs it ....levitating carbs slides are a joke to me now .....seems you have 10 time the induction system right in your sight ... ok i guess im done :BigGrin:
I am sorry Joe but there is no way that a single carby can perform 10 times better than my standard rack. I rode the Rats Nest with late model fuel injected bikes without being embarrassed by her performance. They may have more horsepower, lighter weight and heaps better brakes but we still had a lot of fun. I use GPS for speedo readings and I know that the Rats Nest has seen an actual maximum speed of 105 mph. With the 19" front wheel my speedo actually reads faster than the GPS 100kph = 104 kph but all my other vehicles read faster than the actual speed (GPS) :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139290#p139290:rswi6k6t said:
joedrum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:45 am[/url]":rswi6k6t]
You're sounding more like those "nay sayers" you complain about everyday. The stock carbs aren't as terrible as you have stated lately, it is your opinion but you don't have to rub everyone's nose in it every time the subject comes up.

You're sounding more like those "nay sayers" you complain about everyday.
:smilie_happy: :hihihi: Sorry Joe, it happens to the best of us! At some point we become passionate about something and everything else is no good anymore. :doh:

As far as the CV slides, I am not sure other than what Slab said about tightening up the space what the advantage is? Is there that much space now? My slides are pretty tight. The slightest bit of smudge can stop them, so I sure that is a fairly tight tolerance?

yes ..in reality the honda cv carbs are all metal and tolerence between parts is tight ...in this regard these carbs are nice ....i never try to clean the slides any better than after they start workinking great...i always use the pieces themselves to clean each other ...slides in carb body is a bit different than the vacume parts .... but its no small game getting all this to work good ...i think 83 carbs were teflon coated ..i dont think it did much as in gain over other yrs of 1100 carbs....stock rack is a great challenge ... everyone needs to do at least three i think ..... :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139334#p139334:1ji5m0v5 said:
joedrum » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:28 pm[/url]":1ji5m0v5]
.stock rack is a great challenge ... everyone needs to do at least three i think ..... :BigGrin:

:smilie_happy: Okay, that was hella funny!