Mark's Musings for a Saturday Morning

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Good morning, all!

It's supposed to rain here today and by the looks of it, they might be right. I planned ahead for this morning and I am planning to pull my valve covers and take a crack at adjusting my valves for the first time. I printed out the tutorial, have all my tools, now I'm stalling, drinking some coffee, while I work up the courage. I know it ain't nothing but a thing, but it's a thing I ain't done before!

Since you all won't let me get a chopper.. Blaming it on you guys to cover up the fact I wouldn't know where to start in building anything, especially since I don't have any fabrication skills and I'm a little freaked out by adjusting my valves, for crying out loud... Anyway, I digress. Since you all won't let me get a chopper, I've been rethinking what my next move bike-wise will be and what I want to do with my current steed.

I thought originally about getting another, lighter, more agile bike to ride while I did a makeover to my wing. You know, the works; alternator, more lights, better sound and communication system, rebuild this and rebuild that. By the time I get all done doing that, I just as well go ahead and pop for a low mileage 1500 and have all the stuff I wanted to add to the 83. So, I've kind of reformulated my method to my madness.

I'm going to ride my Wing as long as she holds up as is, doing only what I need to keep her on the road safely. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes peeled and saving my bucks for a decent 1500. Then..... I'm thinking nakedize the 83.

It makes a lot of sense, to me. Take her down to the frame, rebuild the motor (she should have 200K on her with any luck, by then). I'm actually toying with the idea of having a motor ready to go should mine crap out before then, or just for the sole purpose of speeding up the build when the time comes. Some fresh paint, powdercoat and polishing of the chromage.... Mmmmm! I really like the looks of some of the naked wings, especially the 1100's. I've read that guys have taken as much as 200 pounds off the bike, just by nakedizing. That's a lot of weight! That certainly meets my goal of a lighter, more agile bike.

I'm not talking about anything super radical here, off course, because of aforementioned lack of fabrication skills. Unless, of course, I meet up with somebody between now and then that not only possesses such skills, but would be willing to work for cheap beer and pizza. I might even pop for good beer, but the pizza would have to be cheap.

OK, I guess I've stalled as long as I can. The womenfolk in the house are coming to life and beginning to annoy me, so time to retreat to the mancave and start in on my Wing. You all have a wonderful day and thank you for letting me bend your ears. Or eyes, as the case may be.

Mark

aaaahhh...Chopper ??? If you wish a Chopper you should proceed on...Make a chopper man...You had a vision in your mind of what it looks like already..If you don't you will always regret that you didn't..

Yah!!! you see how a dream turned out in Wild Hogs. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Go for it man. And the 1500 is also a good plan, one is in my future (it is just sitting there not being used just beconing) :head bang: :music2: :music2: :music2: .

Well, this has certainly turned into typical Mark project. I didn't realize I didn't have an 18mm spark plug socket. I'm sure I do, but could I find it? No. I decided since I had to go to town, I just as well get new plugs while I was there. When I finally got my plugs pulled, they don't look bad, so I will probably hold onto them for when I might need them.

Pulling the valve covers proved frustrating. I never realized I had to take the crash bars off, which meant taking the lower fairings off. Good Lord, I wanted to adjust my valves, not dissect my bike? :smilie_happy:

Got them off and it appears like they used some silicone on the right gasket to seal it up. Should I put some back in there, or clean the gasket off really good and just reuse it as is? It doesn't appear torn, or anything.

Anyway, I'm all set to start checking/adjusting. Had to take a beer break and update on my progress, or lack thereof. :oops:

And daydream a couple minutes. :cheeky:

Mark

OK it is always best to use new. However a little added help with caskets in good shape is doable.
just don't make it a habbit or the M/C fairy will bight you. You might get away with it once but don't push it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Personally...I do not recommend using sealant. (It just hides other issues) Use a new gasket! It should seal correctly when the valve cover bolts are properly torqued.

Mark,
I have an 83 GL1100I and do not have to remove the guards to take of the valve covers. Perhaps your guards need to be adjusted just a bit, which would make the job easier next time. Fear not. Each task completed just makes us more competent to tackle the next.
Jim

Mission accomplished! Bike started right up and ran just fine. I did a little bit of a test ride and parked it in front of my buddy's house while we had a celebratory cerveza. I came out and specifically checked for leaks; saw none. When I got home, I parked out front of my house so I could put my garage back to gether. When I came back out, there was a puddle of antifreeze under the head on the left side. I scratched my head on that a little. I pulled it into the garage, popped the shelter open and the reserve tank is right where it should be. Only thing I can figure is the puddle was there and I never noticed it when I parked. I'll be keeping an eye on that, but I didn't do anything that should have an effect on that, did I?

Regarding the engine guards; far as I can see, they only really mount up one way and there was no way to get the valve covers off with them on there.

The task took me longer than it should have, but next time will go much faster. I did gain some confidence in my abilities, I think, so the next task probably won't seem so formidable.

Mark

Pulling the head covers and adjusting the valves wouldn't cause any antifreeze leaks.
FYI, same on with the case guards, they have to come off to pull the covers. There are a few different style guards.

Dan, good to know I'm not crazy with the guards!

I just went out and checked a little closer. There was a drip of antifreeze on the end of one of the header bolts. I checked my oil and it looks fine. Where in the world would this be coming from?

Hmm not sure about the antifreeze.
I'd say wash the area good with water then run it to dry the engine off.
Run it on the center stand while watching for any leaks around the head and coolant tubes, radiator hoses, radiator.

Let the cooling fan cycle a few times while everything is drying and the engine is hot then shut the engine off and look closely everywhere for leaks. When it's hot the cooling system is under it's highest pressure and any leaks should show up then.

I didn't quite do all that, but I did get it up to operating temp and was watching for anything. I shut it down and watched for awhile. Nothing. I went back out just now and checked. Nothing. Weird.

Coincidentally, I just pulled my valve covers today. Right one was easily manipulated out the front and the left one took a little coaxing and pushing down on the bottom of the crash bar. Definitely a tight fit. While the gaskets are serviceable, it won't be too many more removals and they will need replacing so I checked on prices. Yikes....... Dealer wanted about $27 bucks a piece and found some on the net for $15.97 but the shipping will probably run them up close to that. So I am treating the gently.

These covers need polishing so I removed the ragged clear coat and started the process only to find I was out of 600 and 800 grit paper. Decided to put 'em to the wheel after 400 grit just to see ....... yuck ..... still can see scratched ... that won't do so I'm taking a break. This old '81 has 97,000 and the PO said he never did anything to the carbs or change the belts. Bike runs Okay but is a slug and although I never rode a GW before it just isn't hitting a good lick. Runs Okay, but just not good enough for me. I don't like to just throw parts at a machine but when I get something like this I will usually follow the same pattern. Good carb kit (Randall's as I'm a CX guy) All fluids changed and lube the rear drive. Shocks checked and general clean up. Since it will be a few days before I can even get a carb kit and I have the valve covers off I think I will just remove the carbs and have a look. The slight miss int he engine feels like electrical rather than all carb. Bike starts first try every time but the choke revs it high and then it "hunts" a bit at idle so I know the low circuit is buggered a bit and I long ago stopped being surprised at what i found once opening up a set of carbs on an old bike.

I've put about a hundred miles on this bike in the past week and would not be afraid to take a trip as it is but the fuel mileage is awful. I filled it up and only have 3/8 tank at 57 miles. Plugs are dark and wet looking so I will do something with the carburetors this week. Glad I'm retired and have the time for this.

roadys carb thread and pics are made for you ...the 1100 carbs are usealy great when cleaned up good ....most of the time its the foat valve screans and seats that get to where they are slowing gas delivery and not stopping flow when floats are up....

the spark is a big deal ....old wires and end resistors cause all kinds of weak spark conditions ...alondg with thrirty yr old coils ....as far as the rear cdi ignition ...pull vacume line at carbs and suck on the end to see if the ignition plates is moving and not stuck

once the carbs and ignition is brought up to par ....it will be like a different bike :Egyptian: :mrgreen:

littlebeaver":td47fwqz said:
aaaahhh...Chopper ??? If you wish a Chopper you should proceed on...Make a chopper man...You had a vision in your mind of what it looks like already..If you don't you will always regret that you didn't..

Littlebeaver, I hear what you are saying and I probably will..... some day..... My more immediate needs are for transportation and while a chopper is definitely a cool bike, I need a daily rider.

Also, my skills are not up to the task and my fundage is not up to the task of hiring the work done. I need to bring both areas up before it can happen. I can hone my mechanical skills on the Wing and I am considering taking a welding course somewhere. There's been more than once I wished I knew how to weld.

In the meantime, I need to keep it real and building a chopper isn't in the stars just yet.

I appreciate your opinion, though. I agree that I probably won't be satisfied until I have one in the garage!

Mark

I went out to the garage this morning and it's dry under the bike. I'm going with the normal overflow theory, though it seems weird it chose to do that yesterday. Never before... I'm going to take it out for a few miles this afternoon after church. I'll get it good and warm, then see what happens.

Mark

MarkB":3vsrp5rt said:
I went out to the garage this morning and it's dry under the bike. I'm going with the normal overflow theory, though it seems weird it chose to do that yesterday. Never before... I'm going to take it out for a few miles this afternoon after church. I'll get it good and warm, then see what happens.

Mark
Check out the new Gremlin bell thread viewtopic.php?f=7&p=49833#p49833

Latest posts