Max won't start when her motor is cold, starts fine when warm? WTF?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what you have done yet..but i think i would do a process of elimanations.
1. cold start--before starting---check volatge at battery..(trying to start---check volatgae at coils)
2. IF your volatge is not 12 at coils..then un hook your 12v. adapter you put in the trunk..and the lights to see if that makes a difference.
3. if there is no difference..in voltage at the coils..with or without the 12v. adapter and lights
then you have other issues.
3. it could be the carbs..--out of sync(need to warm the engine up for this) or need they could need to be rebuilt
4. check the vaccum line going to your pulse gen. from your #3 carb., check your pulse gen. wire ends too, and ohm them out.
5. it could be your wiring harness..as you stated in your other thread.
6. check your compression on your cylinders.
these are some of the things that we would like to know about, so we all can throw in a helping hand and help you. It may have even jumped a notch out of time on one side or both with your timing belts.

Hey Guys,

I had the chance to test the coils over the weekend and the problem was that the 12v socket was pulling too much power - I had hooked it up to the wrong circuit. When I changed it to the accessory circuit it's working fine and the bike fires right up.

Thanks for all of the input, I wanted to be sure to say thank you! (so thank you!)

Chris