measuring the charge.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve84

Reaction score
:thanks: ok guys and gals , which one is the best? ammeter or volt meter on gl1200. and go. tia. :roll:

Agreed. Voltmeter. You can watch voltage as it increases/decreases and whether it is correct for what the stator should be able to do while under load. An ammeter will only show whether it is charging or discharging. There are times when the bike is running hot in the summer with the headlight on, a radio on, fan running, turn signal on and brake lights on that the stator will be putting out less at idle and you may very well see a discharge on an ammeter and assume the stator is not up to par. At about 1200 RPM, the voltage output will increase, but it may not be enough to show charging on an ammeter.

A voltmeter can be watched for normal voltages and speak to the health of the battery as well as the stator. It can also tell you if you have done something stupid (like putting in unmixed antifreeze in your cooling system)! No kidding!

I had worked on my bike in preparation for a trip from New Jersey to Florida in the summer towing a trailer. During the trip, I noticed while at highway speeds that my voltage was dropping indicating each time the fan came on. At highway speed, the fan should not come on! Short of it, I discovered I used undiluted antifreeze before I left New Jersey. Without the water, the engine was actually running hot! Dumped the antifreeze in Florida and replaced with 50/50. Problem solved.

I would not have known the fan was coming on at highway speed otherwise. I would have written off the heat as just hot air from riding on a hot summer day flowing through the radiator at highway speed. The temp gauge was running higher than normal, but not all the way up at the top of the gauge as in a complete overheat.

image.php

As everyone said voltmeter is the easiest install. Ammeter is an advantage in reduced performance of an alternator ( dropped phase) but unless it is a remote shunt style definitely not worth the hassle to install.

Latest posts