mirror thread help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
so, i got some beautiful harley mirrors, all chromed out that i want to put on my bike. problem is, when harley makes them, they make their threads smaller then every one else, it wouldnt take much, but ive had two ideas

1: use a fair amount of plumbers tape and increase the size of the treads

or

2. (not really what i want to do) use liquid metal, fill in the hole and then re-drill the hole with a dowel to fit it right. though by doing that, in the future if i ever want to sell the bike and keep the mirrors, i would have to do it all over again to put the ones i have back on it.

do you think the plumbers tape would work?
any other ideas?

Hmm, the plumbers tape (teflon tape) is softish so I don't think the screws would be secure enough for long term, especially since mirrors take a beating in the wind.
Maybe if it's only a very small difference in thread it might work?

Could the Harley mirrors be drilled for the larger screws?
UNI bits are handy for things like this.

image.php

dan filipi":14r9azc0 said:
Hmm, the plumbers tape (teflon tape) is softish so I don't think the screws would be secure enough for long term, especially since mirrors take a beating in the wind.
Maybe if it's only a very small difference in thread it might work?

Could the Harley mirrors be drilled for the larger screws?
UNI bits are handy for things like this.

image.php

theres a small gap, would take a decent amount to make sure that its in their tight, but the mirrors cant be drilled. would have to get a different stem. they are the solid stem with a ball swivel on the back of the mirror

I would go with the heli-coil inserts also, but the problem might be that the threads on the Honda are metric while the harley are standard. That should be an interesting insert to find.

Sell the Harley mirrors on eBay and buy Honda Mirrors for your bike from the money you make (Harley guys are loaded) ..!

1060dsl":1nbmbw3x said:
Sell the Harley mirrors on eBay and buy Honda Mirrors for your bike from the money you make (Harley guys are loaded) ..!

i really like these mirrors, which is why i want to put them on this. and to confuse some more people, its kind of fun watching people figure out what kind of bike it is that cant tell without seeing the stamps on the side of the bike.

well, the heli-coil is out of the question, they dont make them for that dramatic of a change. so my last two options are still filling the hole with liquid metal, which i really dont want to do, and wrapping the hell out of it with plumbers tape.

steveb123":ef2knzi0 said:
What size are the threads on the mirror?

that im not sure on, i took both my harley mirrors and took one of my regular mirrors off and they went searching all over the back and couldnt find anything that would work, either the heli-coil was to big, or the gap was to small, something.

You are definitely trying to convert imperial to metric. I don't know the size of your Harley threads but if it is large enough I would run a metric die nut down it and cut new threads to suit the Goldwing

backlander":31pz3caw said:
+1 :good:
You only have two choices, the adapters backlander posted or metric mirrors.
Even if you could build up the threads with Teflon tape the number of threads per inch would be different which means they would want to cross/thread at some point..

Thanks everyone, i actually decided to just try and sell them and get something else. the mirrors i have on this right now are in good shape, but i would like something to fit the more bobber style im going for.